There *is* a way that your son could have received very high scores by accident. The evaluator could have used the wrong tables to produce the score. To get the scaled scores they take the raw scores and then look at a table of scaled scores depending on the kid's age.

I know this can happen because it happened to me.

I was having my 2E son evaluated for the third time and when I came to pick him up from one of the sessions, the evaluator pulled me aside.

"Your son is brilliant," she told me. She handed me his scores. His GAI was 160. He had four 19s on the VCI and PRI indices (WISC-IV). This did not correlate with my experience of him *at all*. In fact, I was expecting a GAI (on a good day) to be no more that 140 or so.

A week later, I asked for the raw scores because, as he had four 19s, I wanted to see what his GAI would be with extended scoring. The raw scores weren't on the charts; they were too low. So I determined that based on the pattern in the scores that his GAI would be about 140.

Sure enough, she was using score tables for a kid two years younger. And his GAI turned out to be 140.

So yes, usually the advice is that high scores are in line with reality, but low scores may not be. With this particular son, I've had both high and low scores that have not been real.

It can happen.