My DS8 would play video games all day if I let him (mainly Wizard 101, but also Wii and DS). He is doing great at school, completes homework/projects early and usually reads at least 2 hours a day. He also does sports, swims and has lots of friends that he plays with. (Ofcourse, he now would like to spend time playing computer games with his friends!).
I signed him up for Math101 which he does for fun. He used to spend hours on this 1 year ago but since discovering Wizard 101 and other non-educational sites, the educational sites have lost favor - they are certainly not as exciting.
I guess I have a couple of questions:
1. Since he is well rounded overall, does it matter if he spends 2 hours a day playing games (longer during the summer break)? What would you recommend as a maximum?
2. Are there any educational sites that can compete with the excitement of the games?

Another concern I have is that he doesn't seem to get completely hooked on topics like he used to pre-video. Eg When he was 4, he knew more than me about dinosaurs and the animal kingdom (really). He just couldn't get enough - books, documentaries, museums etc. I don't see this so much anymore.

I would love to hear everyone's experiences. Also, for those with older kids, will he grow out of this?