Over the course of the last few weeks I have notice dd getting comfortable. Which should sound positive - and in many ways it is. We had a stressful start to school and now things are settling. I am thrilled that she's more relaxed.

She does however want more challenging work (her words not mine). I posted the other day about raising this with her teacher regarding maths and how she had said dd didn't know her maths facts to a certain level. As I mentioned in that post, dd does have the necessary facts down, but she finds them boring and can't do them quickly so I think she rushes over them and gets things wrong. The teacher said she's doing really well in the top maths group. I got the impression that should be enough, despite the work being well below what she does at home.

Similarly with reading, writing etc, she's working comfortably at the top of the class, despite her skip.

If I didn't know dd was gifted there would be, I suspect very few teachers would pick it. DD does exactly what is expected of her, she's polite, achieving. If it aint' broke, don't fix it right? It occurred to me it's exactly what happened when I started school - top of the class in early elementary, middle of the class by mid-elementry and there forever after because I just lost all interest and no one noticed I could do more.

I know you read about these things all the time, but I am surprised to be living it (shouldn't be, obviously, but there you go!) Now I realise if I had even just a little less knowledge about giftedness I'd just leave my daughter be. DD's behaviour is ok, her teacher is positive about the level she's working at now, my rarely complaining dd would never mention she found the work easy unless I'd thought to ask about it. Better than the nightly tantrums we had a few months ago sure, but at least I knew, KNEW, something was wrong then. Now we just have a shade of grey that I sometimes wonder if I am imagining. How easy for these kids to fly under the radar.

"If children have interest, then education will follow" - Arthur C Clarke