My kids' school is using a new curriculum this year that supposedly allows kids of all reading abilities to get the same instruction in the same classroom and progress at their own rates, but both my kids (MG+, HG+) have had the same MAP reading scores for the last year. Neither are reading books at their level in school because they want to read what's popular among their friends, and their teachers aren't requiring them to read at their level. I'm pretty sure my DS7 has completely tuned out the entire year's worth of reading "instruction" since he can't tell me a thing about what they're learning. And no wonder, when they're focusing on discussing books like "Henry and Mudge" and "Flat Stanley." We read as a family at home and discuss, but they don't tend to have time to read more than 30 minutes a night at home beyond that. I'm looking forward to the summer when they can read at their level whenever they want and we have the time for discussions about what they're reading.

BTW: Our school switches to the regular MAP from the PMAP at 2nd grade, and DS's teacher said that it is expected for scores to go down at this point. Still, my DS's scores don't reflect AT ALL that he is consistently reading and comprehending 5th-6th grade books at home, and has been for the last year. So any attempt to get accomodations falls on deaf ears.

She thought she could, so she did.