Originally Posted by ColinsMum
Would homeschooling her next year be so impossible or such a disaster that it isn't worth even considering?

Academically and practically, I don't think it would be disastrous or impossible at all.

MIL is having some health issues, so I'd want Alex to come to work with me. She could have her own space in my (gigantic and easily reorganized) office, complete with her own desk and computer. I personally would prefer if we had a shifted calendar, with my busy time her official "vacation," but if we keep the office workload similar to this past year, she wouldn't need to stay home even then. We just wouldn't do much planned learning.

Our state has strong homeschool protections, and no reporting / curriculum requirements. OTOH, it has no "part time public school" program that would allow us to do PE / music / art through the public school - you're either in or you're out.

Socially, I think it would be disastrous. She needs a lot more non-family social interaction than I do, so I'd need to suck it up and find her a social group. The local homeschool community tends to be very religious - of the 9 groups Google finds me, 3 require a signed statement of faith (which we couldn't truthfully sign), 5 others are explicitly Christian, and the last is a Yahoo group of unknown persuasion. DD is currently very anti-religion - her second-best friend is out of favor, because "she worships God, which I do not do!" (ETA: There's a national secular homeschooling message board, with 6 members in my state. The only active member is a practicing Catholic using religious curricula. Around here, "Christian" is code for "evangelical Protestant," so it doesn't surprise me to find a Catholic aligning more with the secular crowd - but it doesn't help me much in looking for a truly secular group!)

The school has to take her, whenever we choose to re-enroll her, so there'd be no problem giving it a trial run.

I anticipate significant parental dissent from the mama end, particularly for the type of unstructured plan I'd anticipate would work best for the personality combination we have.

Last edited by AlexsMom; 05/04/11 12:03 PM. Reason: Man, there are a lot of religious folks where I live.