Originally Posted by master of none
My dd said that she wouldn't have to spend all her time on the boys if she had something more interesting academically to do. Maybe your daughter is bothered that there's nothing better to do except be annoyed by boys?

Oh, that does make sense. At the beginning of the year, I heard tons of complaints about "the boys are goofing around, telling jokes I don't think are funny, when they should be being quiet so I can learn!" I wonder if she thinks that if the boys weren't being "annoying," the class would move faster? Or that everyone could move as fast as she could, if they only would be quiet and pay attention?

If your dd wants a grade skip, it's because she saw the first one as a good solution before. Not necessarily because it is a good solution now.

I don't believe that she sees it as a good solution now - just that she threw it out there as something potentially better than the status quo. It was only a couple of months ago that she stopped saying "I wish I could go back to 2nd grade" and started saying "skipping 2nd was a good decision."

dd relaxed when she didn't have to decide on skipping, homeschooling, etc. That decision lies with her parents.

Unfortunately, I'm getting "I only agreed to the skip because I saw DD turn down TV for math practice night after night during summer vacation, so I knew it was her who wanted it, and not you" and "She wasn't happy, so we let her skip, but then she still wasn't happy. You can't just keep doing things hoping that they'll make her happy" pushback. (DD's mama was the kind of kid who intentionally flew under the radar, using her mental energy to manipulate the system and get classmates to do her bidding. She places huge value on being able to do repetitive schoolwork "quickly and perfectly," and to blend in socially. We have a kid with a lot more of my personality than hers, which I attribute to temperament and mama attributes to lack of discipline.)