Originally Posted by mark
Originally Posted by MidwestDad
To Mark:

My daughter got 98.5% for her composite (20) and 79 in total. Based on your understanding, the 98.5% is calculated from the last two year statistics.

Am I right?
Yes.

From the 2011 summary:
This statistical summary is based on scores from an even larger
sample of NUMATS test-takers, including all 2009 and 2010 NUMATS test-takers (over 50,000 students).
This is phrased in a slightly ambiguous way, but based on the counts I read it as including only 2009 and 2010.

Also you need to bear in mind that the summary data is "% scoring same or worse", so even if the data source were the 2011 data, it would be telling you that 98.5% scored 81 or lower total (the top total which gets a 20 composite), and it wouldn't mean that a 79 total is in the top 2%.

Just so there is no misunderstanding, that is a fantastic score and I am in no way meaning to disparage it. I'm just talking about how to interpret the statistics vs the cutoffs.

To Mike:

Thanks a lot for your response. Now the result does make sense for me. Maybe NUMATs should also give out the statistic only for 2011, which will avoid some confusion.

For example, if some kids get 99% in composite, but cannot be invited to the award ceremony, it will be very disappointed for the kids because of the confusing statistics.

Last edited by MidwestDad; 04/26/11 12:43 PM.