Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (jenjunpr), 300 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    A
    aj614 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    DS5 started K at our local public school 5 weeks ago. We knew it would be difficult for the teacher to challenge him. He had tested into the self-contained gifted classroom at our previous district with 99th percentiles across all categories, but then we had to move. No GT programming here except a pull out for 3rd-5th.

So, I noticed a change in him after about the third day of school. I don't know how else to describe it except to say it was like someone had hit the dimmer switch. My normally bright, radiantly happy and inquisitive boy just seemed not himself. He had been so excited to start school, and now he is just down in the dumps. Of course, I know they are just working on counting objects and letter ID and sounds, which has to be frustrating for him. I have really started to consider homeschooling as the only feasible alternative. But was hoping I could work with the teacher to implement differentiation or maybe single subject acceleration and see if that helps before pulling him out.

Well, the conference didn't lead to that result. She said the Dibels test puts him at 3rd grade level for reading, so she will be focusing on reading comprehension with him instead of just phonics. But then she said he still needed phonics practice for spelling, which I get, but that means he still has to practice "f says ffff" for a week? And she insisted he was assessed as GRADE-LEVEL for math! This is a kid who has been obsessed with numbers since he could talk at age 1....he does multiplication, division, fractions, decimals, percentages, negative numbers....he invents math problems to entertain himself. But she said he skipped 13 and 14 when she asked him to count to 20 (not counting objects, just counting aloud). Doesn't sound like there was much more to the math "assessment." She also commented that he writes many of his numbers backwards, which to me, is a separate issue. She did finally agree to let him do "some above grade-level math worksheets" as an early-finisher activity. She said a lot about how smart he is and how she wants him to advance a full-year's worth academically, even though he is starting at a high level. And that's what I want! But I'm not sure I advocated well-enough or assertively enough for him. Even though she said the right things generally, I am realizing as I reflect on the conference that I'm dissatisfied with the specifics of the plan, and I have no confidence in her ability to understand my son's true abilities (especially if she thinks he can't count to 20).

Argh. I feel overwhelmed. I just don't know how to do this. I have read many posts on this forum and found some good insight and advice, but I am still not sure where to go from here or what to ask for next...more thorough assessment? acceleration? Do I pay for a private psychoed eval? Or do I just give up and supplement at home while we figure out if we can make homsechooling work for us?

I
    I
    Originally Posted by aj614
    hoping I could work with the teacher to implement differentiation
    Unfortunately, not all differentiation is positive. Parents need to probe to see what the buzzword means in the specific context of what is being offered for their child.

But then she said he still needed phonics practice for spelling, which I get, but that means he still has to practice "f says ffff" for a week?
    Proof of mastery should suffice to exempt him and/or make him eligible for compacted curriculum so he can quickly move through this phase of lessons.

And she insisted he was assessed as GRADE-LEVEL for math!
    This may actually mean that the assessment was capped at grade-level, therefore your child hit a ceiling and they did not offer to measure above that. For example, by assessing counting only, and not addition, subtraction, multiplication, division.

She did finally agree to let him do "some above grade-level math worksheets" as an early-finisher activity.
    Kiddos working independently, in isolation, is not an ideal experience as they do not develop a sense of:
    - being able to ask questions,
    - that it is OK to not know something or to be wrong,
    - that they can depend on a teacher to guide them and help them move forward,
    - belonging to a group of intellectual/academic peers.

She said a lot about how smart he is and how she wants him to advance a full-year's worth academically, even though he is starting at a high level.
    A teacher's evaluation and compensation may depend upon the "growth" of students as shown by assessments. Unfortunately beginning with an artificially low inbound measure can make the outbound measure appear to represent one year's growth.

not sure where to go from here or what to ask for next
    Have you recapped the meeting with a letter or e-mail stating any areas of agreement, outstanding questions, next steps discussed?

more thorough assessment? acceleration? Do I pay for a private psychoed eval? Or do I just give up and supplement at home while we figure out if we can make homsechooling work for us?
    Each of these strategies, and combinations of them, have been used successfully.

B
    B
    I would ask if they have end-of-the year assessments for math, for each grade (or even quarter or semester assessments). DS is in third and was given the end of the year third, fourth, and fifth grade assessments and passed them all with at least 85 percent accuracy, so they put him in 6th grade for math. They do this with all the kids in the school, so I didn't need to argue or ask about anything (I was simply informed that DS was going to a 6th grade classroom for math), but you could argue for that on an individual basis. If that doesn't work, ask if he can pre-test for units and if he gets a certain score, skip that unit. If he does pass out of it, figure out what you want him to do. DS did Khan Academy (before he went to current, flexible school). It wasn't the ideal situation, but at least he wasn't forced to sit through endless lectures about how to figure out 2+2. I'm guessing you probably have a battle on your hands. You may want to go directly to the principal and ask what they do for kids who are very advanced in math. I'm sure you did this already, but make sure the teacher knows that you don't agree with the counting assessment, and your DS must simply have been not paying attention/made a silly error.

H
    H
    I agree with blackcat's suggestion that you find out how many years ahead your child is in math by using the end of year assessments for your school, if at all possible. If they use their own school assessments, it will have more power than if you do some other out-of-level standardized test.

If you can get that done, and he is several years ahead, the school might see the light about his inappropriate placement. If he is just one year or so ahead, a teacher can often differentiate properly within the grade level.

I also agree with what Indigo said about independent learning. While it is appropriate sometimes, I saw this have a negative affect on my very social child -- feeling left out of everything.

So I guess overall my advice is to gather more information about your child. You are doing well at this advocating stuff so far!

Last edited by howdy; 09/25/15 09:44 AM.
    C
    C
    First, I am sorry for your situation, which, as you have likely read, is quite common on these threads. :-(

The Davidson Website has many good articles that you could go through to see what might help inform your path. I personally would not jump to homeschooling unless you are really excited about it, at least not before trying a few more times with the current school. You can reasonably assume, but of course verify, that your son's teacher has zero or little experience in knowing what to do with a gifted child in K. That means, unfortunately, you get to train the trainer, so to speak. Sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't.

Did you happen to mention to the teacher the change in attitude you are seeing in your son? Most teachers do care about how children feel about school.

I would definitely ask for end of year K and 1 tests to be administered. Be sure your son knows the intent is to try to figure out what he knows, so he should do his best. Once that's done, you may need to schedule a discussion with the principal and the teacher. Does either know that he had previously tested at a 99% into a self-contained gifted program?

H
    H
    Was the move because of military? I just ask because in the past few years, they have started the School Liaison program. That can be an additional advocating tool if available.

Ask if the school would consider letting him spend a week in a 1st grade classroom and see if that sparks his attention and spirit. Our DS's experience sounds similar. Enriched preschool (they actually allowed him to attend their private Kinder program because he was so much happier with older kids). Then public Kindergarten where he was just way ahead from the start. He was pretty flexible with the classroom that Kinder year because he understood that he got to go to Kinder a year early and it was only half day anyway. 1st grade he was miserable from the start and shut down.

We had him privately tested (WISC-IV) so we could get some idea of what to do. We already had it in our heads that acceleration/ grade skip might the easiest way to handle his frustrations. The private evaluation also agreed that he was a candidate for a grade skip. At first the principal said no, but I also appealed to the school psychologist and after speaking with DS (he was positive about the idea of skipping - also very well-behaved and tall for his age). They gave him benchmark tests (which he passed) and VOILA. End of October he went from 1st to a 2nd grade classroom. He was still ahead in math and reading, but he had work to do in writing that kept him challenged.

I'm not sure how common/accepted acceleration is in the public schools (I'm sure it depends on the school district). But if you feel like your son might be a candidate, a private evaluation might help you advocate better. In our case, it just hadn't been done before and people needed to "have their minds opened" to the possibility. In addition, the right teacher makes a world of a difference.

A
    aj614 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    I am SO appreciative of all of your feedback and suggestions! I agree that just some individualized/independent work won't be sufficient, and reading the comments on that helps me know to push for more. I really like the suggestion of asking for EOY assessments to be given to see where he is in math and which grade-level he might be ready for. But I do worry that his development is uneven (mathematical reasoning is advanced but handwriting is lagging behind and he has a low tolerance for repitition). He is also very small for his age and gets anxious in new social situations, so not sure he would be a good candidate for a grade skip, but I would consider it if we get to that point.

I did tell the teacher about the change in his mood, and she seemed to attribute it to adjusting to long school days and negotiationg social situations (he hasn't had any problems with other kids...he is very sweet and agreeable, just sensitive and easily overwhelmed). Her thoughts on that could be true, but I think school in general is dragging him down because it's tedious for him.

We aren't military...just relocated for my husband's job, but that's cool they have that service! I could use a school liason about now. wink We are not really wanting to homsechool because in general, we are big proponents of public school and community-minded. We also tend to respect and comply with the "professional's" advice on what to do in most situations. So even though we knew our son would have unique learning needs, I think we were naiive in thinking his teacher would immediately see his abilities and have amazing ideas about how to help him. I haven't told her about the testing in our previous district because we weren't sure it would make a difference. But now I'm regretting not being more proactive. I realize now I will need to be more assertive and armed with information if I want my son to have a positive school experience.

I
    I
    Regarding a potential grade skip, the website of the Acceleration Institute may be of interest, including the Iowa Acceleration Scale (IAS).

P
    P
    How often do they retest? And do they group within the classroom? In NZ the first 2 years of school are the most flexible because the have about 5 reading groups and 3 maths groups which are always being reformed as kids change in relation to others. Most of the teachers don't let on which groups are highest and lowest and it seems like a giant shell game to the parents but the kids don't seem to mind. Sometimes one of my kids has not done well enough to go up with the rest of his group one week then has made a big step the next as something clicked.

If they retest monthly then i would leave it. He could quite easily have been distracted when counting and they woukdn't have tested more advanced stuff especially if they thought he couldn't count to 20. As for phonics it depends how much time they are spending on it and how long they will keep doing it.

Last edited by puffin; 09/25/15 02:21 PM. Reason: punctuation
    H
    H
    You do not need to skip a whole grade. You could try just going to the appropriate grade just for math (or for whatever the subject is that he is really far ahead in.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM