Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 315 guests, and 40 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    R
    OP Offline
    R
    I'm new here and am looking for help sorting through schooling options for next year for our 9-year-old. He is currently in a small country public school that we love for the people but don't love for the programming. It's just not meeting his needs.

We've had some preliminary testing done (as well as a full scale IQ but don't have those scores yet) as well as an observation by a psychologist who works specifically with gifted children, and she confirmed what we've suspected - that he's bored. He's currently in 3rd grade, and we've been trying each year to get the school to make the appropriate adjustments to the curriculum to meet his needs, but it feels like we're banging our head against the wall. They just don't "get" him!

The psych we worked with recommended several private schools, but they are all a distance from us and/or cost $14k minimally. Ack! We simply can't come close to affording this, even with the financial aid packages they suggest are available! I'm extremely reluctant to pursue our other public schools in the area - they have a horrible, horrible reputation and I think it would be hit or miss each year depending on teachers. There's a nearby Montessori school, but DS hasn't had any Montessori experience so I'm not sure they'd even be interested in having him, even if it would be a good fit for him.

We're giving some thought to homeschooling. I have substantial concerns about that, too, though. DS struggles socially and is also an extremely intense personality. I don't know that I'll be able to effectively manage both those issues while homeschooling, especially since we have a toddler and a baby, too.

I don't even know what to ask at this point...I'm really overwhelmed. Does anyone have any experience, advice, or observations that might help us navigate this decision? I'm happy to answer any additional questions. Thanks so much!

I
    I
    Welcome!
    I don't even know what to ask at this point...I'm really overwhelmed. Does anyone have any experience, advice, or observations that might help us navigate this decision? I'm happy to answer any additional questions. Thanks so much!
    You've come to a great place to gather ideas. Parents on the forum have lots of experience... you are not alone in facing your dilemmas.

Originally Posted by runnergirl
    ... small country public school that we love for the people but don't love for the programming.
    It is great to have wonderful people to work with. Does the psychologist/tester have information on gifted children which she could share with the school? Would she be willing to attend an advocacy meeting at the school with you?

For a child who may benefit from advanced academics, in a school unfamiliar with gifted, here is a brief roundup of ideas for helping determine curriculum placement and pacing:

- Taking the school's end-of-year tests early to determine inbound level of mastery. Agree in advance what level of mastery must be demonstrated by the child in order for him/her to receive appropriate placement and pacing (such as curriculum compacting, single subject acceleration, full grade skip, etc.) Knowing that each year most children are routinely promoted to the next grade with less than 100% mastery on outbound end-of-unit and/or end-of-grade-level tests (as 76%-79% is often considering a "passing" grade) some families have successfully advocated for their gifted or high-achieving children to demonstrate mastery with a score of less than 100%.

- Others have had success with out-of-level academic talent search tests and the accompanying results reports with suggested academic placement.

- MAP tests (and other similar computer-adaptive tests) give placement information.

- Keeping a dated list of books your child has read, including lexile levels, can be helpful. Some parents have suggested the idea of sharing only the dates and books with the school, not the lexile levels.

- Keeping a portfolio of your child's best works, achievements, accomplishments.

- Reviewing the school's end-of-grade-level outcomes for various grade levels and noting which items your child has accomplished.

P
    P
    Welcome!

I second everything indigo has said, especially out of level testing.

Most schools are wrapped up in NCLB law and putting all their resources in pushing their underperforming students to on-level standard. Great scores on out of level testing such as EXPLORE (too bad it is going away soon) and SCAT (through John Hopkins Center for Talented Youth) could be eye opener for the school administrators. If he is DYS level and get accepted to DYS program, DYS family consutant can also help you advocate at the school.

SCAT is available for 3rd graders and he can take it at the local prometric test center.

http://cty.jhu.edu/talent/testing/about/index.html

Good luck!

I
    Ivy Offline
    I
    One thing I can suggest is really digging into all the available schooling options in your area. Maybe you have and, if so, I apologize, but sometimes schools outside the normal scope of "public neighborhood" or "expensive private" seem to just fly under the radar.

I'm thinking of organized homeschool co-op schools, smaller private schools, magnet schools, religious schools, and parent-driven "custom schools." The appropriateness of a school for a gifted child is often a function of the particular staff and attitude of that specific school rather than the type, style, size, or philosophy. That means you have to check them out personally and individually.

Here in the PNW, there's a whole quiet underground of alternative education options that operate by word of mouth. Even some of our public magnet schools are specifically barred by the district from advertising their existence.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations