Welcome!
I don't even know what to ask at this point...I'm really overwhelmed. Does anyone have any experience, advice, or observations that might help us navigate this decision? I'm happy to answer any additional questions. Thanks so much!
You've come to a great place to gather ideas. Parents on the forum have lots of experience... you are not alone in facing your dilemmas.

Originally Posted by runnergirl
... small country public school that we love for the people but don't love for the programming.
It is great to have wonderful people to work with. Does the psychologist/tester have information on gifted children which she could share with the school? Would she be willing to attend an advocacy meeting at the school with you?

For a child who may benefit from advanced academics, in a school unfamiliar with gifted, here is a brief roundup of ideas for helping determine curriculum placement and pacing:

- Taking the school's end-of-year tests early to determine inbound level of mastery. Agree in advance what level of mastery must be demonstrated by the child in order for him/her to receive appropriate placement and pacing (such as curriculum compacting, single subject acceleration, full grade skip, etc.) Knowing that each year most children are routinely promoted to the next grade with less than 100% mastery on outbound end-of-unit and/or end-of-grade-level tests (as 76%-79% is often considering a "passing" grade) some families have successfully advocated for their gifted or high-achieving children to demonstrate mastery with a score of less than 100%.

- Others have had success with out-of-level academic talent search tests and the accompanying results reports with suggested academic placement.

- MAP tests (and other similar computer-adaptive tests) give placement information.

- Keeping a dated list of books your child has read, including lexile levels, can be helpful. Some parents have suggested the idea of sharing only the dates and books with the school, not the lexile levels.

- Keeping a portfolio of your child's best works, achievements, accomplishments.

- Reviewing the school's end-of-grade-level outcomes for various grade levels and noting which items your child has accomplished.