Well, I just googled the phrase + the doman group (that makes the your baby can read) and it looks the the phrase they used was "brain damaged", not half a brain. Without reading the whole site again I can only assume the sentence I read said "if the brain damaged can learn using this method so could a baby with a fully functioning brain.". Which I must have paraphrased in my memory as half a brain compared to a fully functioning brain. Someone showed me that program a while ago because I'm using hooked on phonics but that program has faster results (but I think phonics might make him less academically asynchronous than sight reading, plus it teaches him to learn the way the school likes to teach.) Similarly the DI program and the Montessori method were originally created for the disabled, but turns out they work well for other students too.
Hmm, I did not know that about downs syndrome being too many chromosomes. Then it's similar kind of to leukemia? I'll file that away and I'm sure it will come up again sometime. Thanks for letting me know.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar