Originally Posted by Your Link
"The creative potential of students is limited by what they know. �The first job of the teacher, therefore, is to teach basic skills and knoweledge. �The foundation of skills and knowledge gives students the fabric to be fashioned by their creativity.

Direct Instruction programs uses in elementary grades have provisions for placing and advancing students. �For example, multiple entry points and in program tests measure mastery,
[quote=] especially on the new material presented in the preceeding ten lesson period. �Remedies are specified for unacceptable performance. �(A remedy consists of repeating specified parts of different lessons.). Furthermore all programs admit to a functional test that determines weither each child in the group is appropriately placed.

No magic is to be found in repeating statements that are relatively trivial or in engaging in tasks that do not have identifyable instructional functions. �If the instructional sequence is weak the effective-school trappings will not make it strong."
[/quote]

I googled it to see if it looked like they have been delivering on their promises. �It was designed by a Johns Hopkins professor and they been known for metacognative studying over there. �I see the say they are systematically teaching foundational skills, frequently testing and adjusting the student's placement. �No lock-step, even to your own past performance. �Nice!

I agree with Taminy it sounds best for early elementary, if memory serves me public schools have you drilling basic functional skills until second grade. �I've never heard of this school, but like the way they do some thing by the sound of it. �Of course it depends on how it looks in real life. � � � �

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar