Originally Posted by coveln
Hi Eagle Mum. Do you mean she is ahead because they will spend awhile reviewing the 8th grade curriculum? I imagine that will be the case. It's always a balance between her being so far ahead that she is miserable in class and going so slow in class that she is miserable. I am hoping that she will find algebra tolerable now that we have effectively jumped her 2 grades and maybe there will be material that she doesn't already know somehow on her own. She just did their beginning of the year STAR testing and actually had an increase since last summer. Typically she is advanced but makes little progress through the year or declines as she doesn't usually do much math outside of school. They didn't give us any report to provide context but her score was 1233, 99 percentile. After pushing the school to skip her I was glad to see that her score seemed to support the jump.

IME, maintaining momentum is important. Going over the same materials again in class is not, in itself, bad (DS did this all the time), as it serves as a good opportunity to consolidate understanding, but if they are not learning anything new, there’s a high risk that they’ll lose interest. Are you able to extend your/her subscription to the online maths program?