My DD is 11 in 6th grade. New school district/new state this year. DD displayed a lot of interest and aptitude in math at an early age. She did an early entrance to a gifted kindergarten which was great but then for other reasons, we moved her to a regular public elementary school then moved states after 2nd grade. Neither elementary school had a gifted program at that age and neither made any effort to appropriately challenge her. I believe her scores on the school assessment (STAR testing I think) at the start of 1st grade was at the top of 4th grade. Over the years math dropped from being loved to being her worst class. No surprise there given her experience. Occasionally her dad will bring up something math related and they will write out equations up to calculus level and talk for hours so I think her passion could still be ignited.

Her current school is more progressive especially for math. She is technically identified there as gifted (based on testing we had from 4y of age) but they don't offer anything for that in 6th. They do, however, stratify math abilities. My daughter started in 6th grade math and was bumped up to a compacted 6th/7th grade class with the expected path to move to a compacted 7th/8th grade class in 7th grade and algebra I in 9th. There are however several 5th graders in her class and they do sometimes bus 8th graders to the high school for geometry.

The class is slow and unchallenging and I wasn't sure they were even going to make it through half of 7th grade. I asked teacher about her assessment and the expected path over the next few years. Teacher did not respond to my email but did give my daughter a test (7th grade?). As she gave the test she told my daughter that "most kids in this class (her current class) get all the questions right on the tests". I can't see any positive reason to say this. It sounds like she is telling her that she is not special. Anyway, the teacher gave the test to the 7th grade teacher to grade and later said to my daughter that "pushing kids ahead in math can make them not like math". Again I thought this was a bit odd. I'm not sure if she thinks I'm trying to push too much or what but of course there never is any concern about years and years of under challenging a student (who now says she hates math). Eventually she emailed me and said that they feel the 7/8th grade compacted class next year is the best placement.

So....
would you call the teacher out on the weird comments and discuss more?
consider pushing for online 7/8 grade classes this summer to move into Algebra next year?
A one grade skip would be useless even if they agreed to it.

I don't know how she did on the assessment. She may not know everything in 7th grade. She hasn't been exposed to anything new in math in years. Her sister is in algebra now (9th grade) and I am pretty sure she could do most of it right now or with minimal teaching.