Hi all,

What was once fairly clear has now become confusing! I have been planning to pursue a grade skip for DS5, who is in kindy this year and is working very quickly through 2nd grade EPGY math at home (he started EPGY three weeks ago at the kindergarten level), reads fluently, and seems to be working above 3rd grade level right now in language arts without instruction. He gets 2nd grade language arts homework sent home, and it's more like busy work to him.

I know the grade skip wouldn't be a permanent fix, since he keeps surging ahead faster and faster. I suppose he'll be done with the curriculum at his elementary school within the next year or so and then I'll be wondering what else to do with him. I have a feeling it's going to be expensive, LOL.

But now, our district has announced a new Dual Language Immersion program starting next year for kindy and first graders, then adding a new grade level each year. In this program, the students will be taught all English one day and all Spanish the next. I have heard that this can be a good option for gifted children.

Is anyone familiar with this type of arrangement? How does this compare to a grade skip? I'm hesitant, to say the least.

None of us speak Spanish at home, so I would have to learn a new language to help DS with his homework. And would this really be enough of a long-term challenge? What kind of child does best in this scenario?

Thanks so much for any advice!

Christi