ACS -
I think it's important to keep in mind that each child is different and has a unique personality and that the different flavors of giftedness play a role as well.

For example, although I applaud your perspective that your son is in an environment where he gets to learn about differences, I am guessing that if he stopped being willing to Afterschool with you,
(as in- Why should I do extra work? I wanna playdate!) or stopped being "able" to stay well behaved in an environment where he is bored out of his gourd, you might suddenly re-evaluate your priorities.

It isn't that I'm saying your son is "less gifted" than other kids here, although I do get plenty of flack from parents of "more normally gifted" kids who don't get it that we've had to make the choices we have, it may be that your son is "more unusually gifted" than mine, but that his strengths are being ideally stimulated by being in this mixed environment! After all, you like it, and the Apple doesn't fall far from the Tree.

Or you may come from a whole family of relaxed, enjoy the moment kind of people, including your son - which is wonderful! I just want to point out that there are plenty of kids for whom the diverse classroom that leaves their parents dewy-eyed (like me) leaves them with important needs not met.

Love and More Love,
Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com