Originally Posted by delbows
Also, what month (or season)is your son's B-day? Is he already young for his grade?

Delbows, my son has a summer birthday, so he's young for his grade. Especially since there are a few kids who are already turning seven in kindy. Yikes! He's 90th percentile for height though (and he has a hugh head, LOL), so he doesn't look small by any means.

My only concerns for him developmentally have been handwriting and creative writing. When I compared his handwriting to my mother's former rural first grade class, it looked great. But compared to his suburban age-mates it didn't look great. Also, his writing wasn't what his teacher expected from him.

However, we recently started Handwriting Without Tears and !!!!!HIS HANDWRITING IS WONDERFUL!!!!!! So that's no longer a concern. And we also started the "Four Square Writing Method" at home and he is all of a sudden a great writer. Yay!! I recently looked at some of the work on display at his school, and his writing easily compares to work the 2nd graders had on display.

Christi