ACS - I only deal in facts and numbers. The most resent numbers available are from 2005 which state that nationally, new immigrant children are ranking proficient in grades 3 - 6 at just 10%
The numbers are not great for African American children (of which I am) either - with just 23% being proficient in their grade area. No one said these children aren't bright, but adjusting to a new environment with a new education system is not easy, not even for a bright child.
Ignoring issues by saying "everyone is the same" simply makes those that need additional help sink further and further behind. That is why I am so troubled by the numbers for African American children. Instead of people saying, what can we do to make the education system work for these wonderful children people are instead saying "no, everyone is the same". But guess what, in my state over 50% of AFrican American children drop out of high school. How does ignoring the problem help them? It doesn't. They are lost and they have no hope for a bright future because no one chose to look at the situation and say, "what can we do to help these children be the best that God created them to be". No one is saying "these children deserve a shot and we are failing them, lets change something".
So sorry, I am okay with offense as long as it gets people looking at the real issue. Children are not succeeding in our schools. I would rather someone be offended by my comments and something change than my kid have just a 1 in 2 shot of graduating high school - let alone even attending college.
Yes, that is right. For every 2 African Americans that start school here, 1 isn't going to make it out. The number is WORSE for new immigrant children with over 60% not making it out the other side. I will not put my head in the sand and let political correctness continue to destroy these kids.