Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (scottclaxton55), 88 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    avenlyspray, sobadiet, MelodyLeigh, kristen508, karam2008
    11,451 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    C
    C
    Around 4 my DS fell off his bike and became afraid of it. I ended up having to force the issue so he wouldn't build on that fear (he's the type who will never do something again if it builds up in his mind) but I did hold him and help him.

When we moved he was afraid until he realized that the sidewalks were completely flat - the old house there was a slant at each driveway. He'll be 7 soon and still doesn't ride without training wheels but he does like to actually ride his bike at least!

T
    OP Offline
    T
    thanks for the input, everyone.

She has actually never ridden a tricycle either. She has always steered clear of any ride on toy. I've let the issue go for the past year. We got her a bike for her birthday last May and she fell. It was nothing traumatic, but she hasn't gone near it in a year, now as her birthday is coming up and weather is starting to get warmer and nicer so we could get outside, I have thought about bring the issue up again. I honestly think she would feel good about herself if she could learn to ride a bike and that she would enjoy it. I am not going to make it a power struggle or a big deal. I can't blame her reluctance on tipping over that one time because it has been there since birth. I guess a part of me worries it signals something is off with her balance or coordination and I should do something to help her.

Originally Posted by TwinkleToes
    I can't blame her reluctance on tipping over that one time because it has been there since birth. I guess a part of me worries it signals something is off with her balance or coordination and I should do something to help her.
    I think you are probably right about it being a signal. Google 'Gravitational Insecurity' - Occupational Therapy helped my son a lot with this at age 7, and afterwards he did learn to ride a 2 wheeler. We started with DH wheeling DS around in the kind of luggage cart one can use at hotels. It doesn't take hours and hours, but it does take some intervention.

I think it can be a vicious cycle of them being more aware of risks of things than other children, so reluctant to try certain physical acts, and then falling behind in the developmental time table because they never practice.

Is your younger DD bolder physically?
    Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    F
    F
    There is a Franklin book called Franklin Rides a Bike. Although it maybe below her reading level it might help. (It is rated on the back as a second grade book but I don't have any idea how they come up with that.) He falls off and gets scared by the wobbling of the bike. I have been using it as a way of introducing that not everything comes easily which is what Franklin is struggling with as he is the last of his group of friends to learn to ride their bikes. I think some things come so easily that anything that has any kind of zing with it seems weird and unapproachable for my little one. I also agree with Grinity checking it out. My oldest hopped on a bike as though she had ridden it all her life. It took less than fifteen minutes to take off the training wheels and let her go.

T
    OP Offline
    T
    Hi Grinity,

She actually went to OT and they mentioned gravitational insecurity but sent her packing saying it was "fixed."

Her little sister is very athletic and coordinated. She lifted her head and looked around when they laid her on her tummy to be weighed right after she was born (after I held her)and rolled over at three weeks LOL In many ways they help each other. The older one has learned commonsense things from the younger and the younger picks up words and concepts from her big sister.

I have given up on the bike thing for the moment. It isn't that important. If we can ever get back to OT, I'll have them work on this again.

I think a razor scooter made a big difference to my son - perhaps start with that?

Too bad the OT said she was fixed - sounds like she isn't quite.

Love and more Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Justice sensitivity in school / DEI
    by indigo - 06/06/24 05:58 AM
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    Mom in hell, please help