Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 262 guests, and 31 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    D
    OP Offline
    D
    Originally Posted by Justin
    Thank you Grinity for articulating what I have been trying to say about my resistance to our approved grade skip. If a kid is great at manipulating numbers (or words) without the deeper understanding then a grade skip may only be a short term solution that would be reversed later. It is frustrating to question the numbers. I hate to be ruled by a set of numbers. But, at least in our case, until more data points come in (that are beyond mom�s gut and observations) it would be prudent to take a meandering path. Like when my kids want to run and I don�t want to have them out of earshot, I ask them to zig-zag their way. Switchbacks create a win-win. Dragomom, we are likely at this point heading toward a year of homeschool with a focus on science, art and games. Dc may continue to accelerate, may look like they�re standing still when they are actually diving deeper, or may level off and be more in tune with kids their age or�? Does this sound reasonable and harmless enough when intellectual capacity is uncertain?

What I struggle with most about school placement has to do with the way ds6 learns. When he learned place value, he got it all. The schools teach in this odd manner as if only small numbers are understandable and the older kids get, the bigger the numbers can be. Weird. When he figured out multiplication he jumped very, very quickly to figuring out multi-digit multiplication. When he learned about volume (capacity) conversions he could do the subtraction and addition and conversions of all measurements of it, fractions are the same such that going over decimals seems almost redundant now. So, the place he takes something he learns is different than the limited places the curriculum seem to go. Does that translate into a deeper understanding though? I don�t know. It does translate into a struggle for even a well meaning teacher. I spoke to a mathematician recently who suggested that dc�s origami and diagramming of shape manipulation can be called math. Is that math understanding or just manipulation and exploration? I don�t know how to tell at this point. If it isn�t understanding, I can see that there would be a point where others would �catch up' and/or ds would be missing subtler bits along the way.

We are blessed with great music teachers who are focused on ten years down the road and fostering a lifelong love of music. I know my ideal academic teachers would be the same. Have you looked for a teacher willing and eager to differentiate regardless of grade? If a year of homeschool is a possibility for you then perhaps you would be able to use the time to go deep and feel more confident about pushing the school if you choose to go back. In our case, I can tell you that dc are extremely enthusiastic about a year where cribbage, chess and Othello are homework assignments. smile I�m still looking for magical teachers though. Good luck to you.

I completely can hear how you feel about the whole acceleration thing just by reading your post. It's such a scary place to be; you don't want to make a wrong decisiona nd regret it later. I wish you the best in your decision with your child, whichever route you choose to take.

My kid is the same way with manipulation of numbers. Once he learned fractions; division logic came right along as welll as the relationships between the two and multiplication. I do see some understanding, but I also have my doubts. Will others just catch up and then he'll be behind? I ask myself that as well. He started "really" reading just after he turned 4. He seems advaced when it comes to speed and accuracy of reading as well as understading, but can he really comprehend everything? That's my fear, of the effects of later on.

I was not grade skipped, but got early entrance in K and was a year younger than the rest of my class and that didn't afffect me at all. School propossed skip at 2nd or 3rd grade, but my parents didn't want me to skip (or be advanced again) so I got some differentiation, but that was many years ago. I wasn't really very mature nor immature; I was more of a quiet kid. I still did really well academically and socially, and nowadays I would like to think I'm very successful at what I do, so I want to say that advancement is actually a good thing for the right kid. My kid though has a totally different personality!

I'm looking for magical teachers as well! :-) There are some still out there. Going forward, my plan is to request differentiation on areas he definitely needs it and hopefully having input on teacher selection or suggestions each year, and also keeping an eye on his development.

Drago's Mom

Drago - age 8, male, something else in a funny way!
    D
    OP Offline
    D
    Originally Posted by Dandy
    Here's a post with several links to articles that discuss the differences between the two tests:
    http://giftedissues.davidsongifted....62/Re_any_fans_of_the_SB5.html#Post60162

There's a good discussion that follows.

Dandy

Great information on this previous post comparing the 2 tests. Thanks a lot!

Drago's Mom

Drago - age 8, male, something else in a funny way!
    Originally Posted by Justin
    Does this sound reasonable and harmless enough when intellectual capacity is uncertain?
    For you Justin, the key question is getting DS2nd often enough near kids he has a chance of enjoying their company. Not because there is anything wrong with him, but because of his poor peer fit.
    fractions are the same such that going over decimals seems almost redundant now. So, the place he takes something he learns is different than the limited places the curriculum seem to go. Does that translate into a deeper understanding though?
    Yes it does. What exactly were you looking for? I don't think a burning bush would convince you dear, but a year of homeschooling Othello might. ((wink))
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM