Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 138 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
    YES.

Look for your copy of procedural safeguards, and begin letter-writing your way through the complaint process.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Val Offline
    Originally Posted by MegMeg
    The more I think about it, the more I think we parents need to stop trying to engage these people in discussion about why this is wrong, illogical, contrary to the known facts, cruel, etc. That just gives them the opportunity to obfuscate till we're exhausted.

I think we should stop the discussion cold with "That's not your job." My kid needs to learn a work ethic? Not your job. My kid needs to learn to deal with boredom? Not your job. Your job is to teach my child academics, full stop. What are you doing to teach her academics?

I like this. I also would add that "learning to deal with boredom" is best applied to tasks with a beneficial result, such as cleaning one's room or sweeping the kitchen floor. What is the benefit of doing academic work that isn't even remotely challenging? I suspect that forcing a child to do mindless work is not good for brain development.

And of course, what we're really talking about in a situation like this may be rooted in, "I don't want to do extra work."

This whole child stuff is bogosity. IMHO, it's just another way for edumacators to focus on fluff instead of substance.

I love the Meg's response to the "whole child" stuff! The same principal who told us too bad and to wait also used that line. She made it sound like her school was so unique in doing that (trying to develop the whole child) and I see from these other comments that she is just following the We Will Not Accelerate party line.

Bogosity indeed!

Originally Posted by LittleCherub
    Our school used the "whole child" term several times during our two years (so far) of advacacy for our son. Before I submitted our latest request, I had to be proactive and said something like "I know the importance of a whole child, and being academically challenged is a very important part of it". The good thing was in our son's case, the school was willing to do something out of usual for him even with the whole child concern.

i clearly I haven't faced this level of crazy yet (DS is just 5) but could someone explain how you could be "teaching the whole child" by IGNORING a rather large part of the whole child?

So if our DCs are pie charts - what percentage are they allocating to learning stuff they don't yet know, is it bigger than the "sit at desk" slice? I am still stunned by that - do we grade on how well one sits at desk? The idea of prioritizing sitting, standing, being quiet to the degree that learning is dismissed out of hand, just makes me crazy - and no one has said it to me yet!!!

Although, truthfully I do often think at dinner time as DS slides out of his chair for the 4000000 time, that perhaps a lesson on how to stay in it might be helpful LOL - but this is like saying I shouldn't give him dinner until he learns to do it perfectly!!

I wonder if this is ultimately an effort to deny asynchrony. Basically all kids develop at the same rate but are not equally good so Johnny needs more work on sitting while Jane needs confidence and Sam needs to improve in math. But Johnny is not "ahead" of Sam in math despite being able to do grade levels ahead?

DeHe

Last edited by DeHe; 03/31/11 10:41 AM. Reason: added a thought
    Val Offline
    Originally Posted by DeHe
    ...I haven't faced this level of crazy yet (DS is just 5) but could someone explain how you could be "teaching the whole child" by IGNORING a rather large part of the whole child?

I wonder if this is ultimately an effort to deny asynchrony. Basically all kids develop at the same rate but are not equally good so Johnny needs more work on sitting while Jane needs confidence and Sam needs to improve in math. But Johnny is not "ahead" of Sam in math despite being able to do grade levels ahead?

DeHe

Honestly, and this is just one person's opinion, I'm not sure that people who say this kind of stuff have really thought anything through in any depth or even at all. My guess is that these statements could just be an excuse to ignore something while also avoiding having to deal with a difficult problem. They could be akin to that way of meaning "No" when saying "I'll keep your idea under advisement."

frown

Val

Yes, I think it is just a platitude, albeit one that the speaker may actually subscribe to on some level.

Teachers are grossly underpaid and overworked-- no doubt. Schools are asked to expand their basic mission CONSTANTLY, and to be more and more inclusive in doing so.

It's not a surprise to me that drinking the Kool-Aid is a self-preservationist tactic among many school teachers and administrators as a result.

frown

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Originally Posted by Val
    Honestly, and this is just one person's opinion, I'm not sure that people who say this kind of stuff have really thought anything through in any depth or even at all. My guess is that these statements could just be an excuse to ignore something while also avoiding having to deal with a difficult problem. They could be akin to that way of meaning "No" when saying "I'll keep your idea under advisement."

frown

Val

its probably just me but I would much rather hear - "I'll keep your idea under advisement." but I really mean no, rather than spouting stuff that if practiced is harmful IMO. And I bet the next platitude will be something about working up to your full potential - I always hated that one!

DeHe

Originally Posted by momma2many
    they seriously said to me that all kids belong "in the box" and that gifted kids need to learn to fit in the box in order to function in society. and since school is a "system" gifted kids needed to learn to function in the system.

Or maybe "the system" is made for people who need a system in order to function in society.

C
    C
    Originally Posted by radwild
    Originally Posted by momma2many
    they seriously said to me that all kids belong "in the box" and that gifted kids need to learn to fit in the box in order to function in society. and since school is a "system" gifted kids needed to learn to function in the system.

Or maybe "the system" is made for people who need a system in order to function in society.

Yes. Since dd is at a girls school, I have started calling this the "Which American Girl Doll Are You?" syndrome.

Last edited by Chrys; 04/04/11 06:52 AM.

Warning: sleep deprived
    N
    Nik Offline
    N
    Originally Posted by Katelyn'sM om
    Interesting Meg. I'd love to know if anyone has tried this and what resulted from it.

I did. It resulted in homeschooling-LOL! Warning, rant:

My DD's 10th grade English teacher stated that my daughter needed to "learn a work ethic in order to survive in the real world, because after all in the real world you have to do boring work to keep your job".

This teacher informed me that it was her job to teach my DD this, since I was clearly was failing to do so. (This teacher actually twisted the rules in order to fail my DD so she could "teach" my DD and the rest of the class the importance of "work ethic")*

It resulted in Twilight-Zone sort of meeting with the Assistant Principal, the counselor and the teacher (who was so busy she could only stop in for a moment). The teacher turned red and was actually spitting. After she left, the other school officials nodded indicating that they agreed the teacher was out of line but said it would just be easier for everyone if we just accepted it and allowed the teacher to fail my DD, assuring me that my DD could breeze through the self-paced summer school make-up class in one day...so no harm done! crazy

Ultimately it resulted in my withdrawing my daughter from school and homeschooling via community college classes.

*long story, but the ISD policy stated no more than 20% of the course grade could be based on homework and my DD made 100's on all in-class work and tests. My DD was also the only student in the class to score higher than 63% on the pre-AP practice exam (she scored 97%), this did not sit well with the teacher who stated that it was unfair and sent the wrong message to the "hard-working students" in her class. She then stated that "tests are really not a good measure of what students know".

This teacher also claimed that because my DD had not turned in any homework, she really didn't know if my DD understood the material and had concerns that my DD might not. I suggested that my DD stay after school to work one-on-one with the teacher until the teacher was satisfied smile. The teacher then said this was not necessary, she knew that my DD clearly got the material but that wasn't enough, she needed to get with the program. AAAAHHHHHHHRRRGGGHHHHH

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM