Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (1 invisible), 384 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Grinity #97861 03/26/11 09:11 AM
    T
    T
    Grinity, that link to Aimee at Hoagies. It had incredibly useful information on what to say to emotionally prepare a child for what is happening. Thanks

I guess I would say we are trying to determine if there is anything "extra" going on besides being cognitively advanced.
    This sounds totally reasonable! I'm glad to hear that your DD is maturing - Yippee! and it's great that you have someone to check her and give you insight. I guess I think more cog testing is a good idea as long as it isn't WPPSI. Yes I would ask 'by name' before saying yes to the test - if the tester is as good as you say, she won't take offense. You can blame me if you want, "My bossy older sister Grinity keeps telling me that my DD is too old for WPPSI, and I'm mortified to question you in any way, but I won't get any peace at home until I ask you what kind of cog test your were planning to do." or something like that!

Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Grinity #98093 03/29/11 04:12 AM
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Hi Grinity I hope no one minds me jumping in, but why is the WPPSI not right for a four going on five year old when the test goes up to 7.2 years?

A
    A
    The WPPSI ceilings are to low at that age to really assess giftedness.

Dottie #98113 03/29/11 08:34 AM
    Originally Posted by Dottie
    For a child closer to 6, I'd definitely encourage waiting, but at 4? It might be worth the faster results.
    4yr10mo,
    Sure if the school will pay for the WPPSI at age 5, why not? But if one has to pay out of pocket, why not get the SBV, particularly if DYS is a possibility.

I'm not sure if there is a GAI for WPPSI.
    I found this:
    Originally Posted by http://www.gifteddevelopment.com/About_GDC/relevant.htm
    WPPSI-III (Wechsler Preschool and Primary Scale of Intelligence-Third Edition) The WPPSI-III offers improvements over its predecessor for gifted children. It appears to be a better diagnostic test and it emphasizes abstract reasoning well. It has two forms: one for children ages 2-6 (2 years 6 months) to 3-11, and one for ages 4-0 to 7-3 (we prefer a WISC-IV at 6-0). The form for very young children is short (4 required subtests) and only Object Assembly is timed (rather generously). The portion for ages 4-0 and up requires 7 subtests and has a good mix of verbal and visual reasoning in a child-friendly test (administration is more comfortable than with the WPPSI-R for little ones). The test does have a Processing Speed Quotient, but only one of the two subtests from which it is calculated is included in the Full Scale IQ score. This is a timed handwriting-like test. Slower processing speed on handwritten paper-and-pencil tests is common in the gifted and should not rule out admission to gifted programs.

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    M
    Mam Offline
    M
    It is not called GAI, some testers call it "prorrated IQ" or simply IQ w/o processing speed. It CAN be calculated though (but not by us since the tables are not available online).

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM