Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 376 guests, and 8 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Originally Posted by traceyqns
    A lot of kids I have seen get into the gifted public clearly are not gifted. Technically the OLSAT is not an IQ test right?

Correct, according to hoagies:

Otis Lennon School Abilities Test (OLSAT-8), grades K-12, ceiling = 150
    Group ability test, assesses verbal and nonverbal reasoning abilities that are related to success in school. Published by Harcourt Educational Measurement�

Braedan's mom, um. A lot of kids are into lego's now and that builds up to other stuff like robotics. There's even clubs and competitions. I might start a chapter for my kid when he starts school. www.starfall.com has up to second grade reading prep. It's popular and free. Fatbrain toys online has a nice selection of thought-provoking toys. I think family game night board games by hasbro are enriching. They have counting, thinking, following directions, and family conversations. Right now we like dominos and UNO best.
    For a book I like "Smart Boys" as a good parenting read. I need to get "Smart Girls" because I just had a daughter. Actually I feel more qualified to raise a daughter. I'm glad I read "Smart Boys".
    I'm enriching my preschooler right now with cursive lessons from handwriting without tears brand workbook and teachers book. It's very satisfying. Right now he's tracing to memorize the patterns of correct cursive.
    Sorry you didn't get into the school you wanted.

If you want more suggestions let me know. We'll talk.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    DeHe....Snarky! LOL, I love that word!

IMO. you didn't sound snarky, just frustrated. Those of us that have been at this awhile understand and take nothing personal.

For what it's worth, I think the soapbox is a fine place. If more parents raised hell, do you think our education system would be in the sorry state it is now?

So scream away! Hell, buy a megaphone!

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    D
    D
    As someone who has given over 100 WPPSIs, I can tell you that scores vary quite a lot over time. Especially the younger the child is when the test is given.

I tend to put more stock in the WISC. When kids are 6, they are more amenable to testing, and the score is more stable.

You can make your child more comfortable with they type of testing materials, which can improve scores a little. If you want suggestions, I can provide some ideas.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM