Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 193 guests, and 8 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    #96616 03/10/11 04:18 PM
    L
    Lukemac Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    hi all. as some of you may have read, I have been awaiting news about DS acceptance to a private school. At their insistence, after viewing his WJ and WPPSI, we applied him to the 1st grade, although he did not make the age cut off. We thought that through the process, he would be considered for both K and 1, and that depending on their findings, that they would place in appropriately. They are a school for the "bright and gifted" and curriculum runs a year ahead. WELL - got the call yesterday, he is "wait listed" for 1st grade, and that he is #1 on the wait list.... HOWEVER, there was only 1 spot available for 1st grade, and we all know, whoever they offered it to, will likely accept!
    SO we asked, "well, what about K??"... and were told he is too advanced for K, that 1 is the right placement and we should wait and see if a spot opens!
    Now what do we do??? It was really our only option! I never dreamed this would be the outcome! Am at a total loss, not to mention, utterly devastated. PLEASE, any kind words to soften the blow????

Last edited by Lukemac; 03/22/11 07:42 AM.
    Lukemac #96620 03/10/11 04:33 PM
    F
    F
    Number one on the wait list maybe not so bad depending on what your turnover rate is where you live. Have you asked the school what the turnover rate is? Have they already found out how many returning students there will be? Or are they still assuming everyone will return? Can you enroll somewhere and hold off to see if there is spot that opens later in the year? If they say that your child should be in first and that is what they are holding to in someways that shows that they "get it". A good thing in the long run. Its a bummer though to have to wait and see. Good luck!

Lukemac #96624 03/10/11 04:53 PM
    L
    Lukemac Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    Thanks..... yes, I need 1 kid to drop out - haha. The thing is, it is a very coveted school, and I do not think there is high turnover.. That is why I am beside myself, I am really not sure that anyone will pull out!

Lukemac #96625 03/10/11 05:08 PM
    Val Offline
    As Dottie mentioned, with private schools it's common that kids in a given class this year (the Kindergarten, in this case) won't return next year.

I suppose it's possible for no one to leave the class, but that would be, well, odd in my experience. The school may well be coveted, but there are other reasons for leaving: families move, people lose jobs, people change their minds about their goals for their kids, etc. etc.

Take a deep breath and try to forget about it for a while (being stressed out won't do anything but make you unhappy anyway).

Lukemac #96626 03/10/11 05:18 PM
    I actually think it speaks well of them that they won't consider K for him. A little thing called integrity.

Will they keep him on the waiting list and let you enroll midyear if space opens up? Can you homeschool until then? Will they keep him in 2nd grade until a slot in 1st opens up?

Love and more love

Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Lukemac #96627 03/10/11 05:22 PM
    C
    C
    If the school wants him in 1st, their K might really not be the right place for him. I would just keep checking in with admissions. At the "coveted" schools here, every year there is always someone who doesn't come back in each grade.

Warning: sleep deprived
    Lukemac #96823 03/14/11 06:39 AM
    T
    T
    I am very to sorry to hear this.
    Maybe the school is not as great as it sounds.
    There is a lot of hype out there.
    We took our son out of this "great gifted" school that he did get into.
    Instead of doing hours of remedial useless work he does 20 minutes of HW and then does real work at home on the side.
    The stuff he learns through CTY he would never be learning in his grade level in any school.
    I too was devasted when this so called perfect school that he did get into was a bust.
    I felt helpless and angry and like there was no hope.
    Now I realize all I want is for him to learn.
    And for most of our kids they will learn more on their own time in their own way.

Grinity #96824 03/14/11 07:01 AM
    J
    J
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    I actually think it speaks well of them that they won't consider K for him.

Agreed.

I also think he will get in for first grade. It's only March. Don't sweat it, sounds liek they are doing the right thing.

traceyqns #96829 03/14/11 08:46 AM
    Hi traceyqns

Can I ask which school you pulled your son out of, you can send me a PM if you would rather not out them publicly smile

I'm asking because I thought somewhere else you mentioned you were in NYC, and we are just getting on that treadmill so any information is super helpful.

DeHe

Lukemac #96924 03/15/11 08:13 AM
    At this point in the year, the school probably knows the number of K kids returning for 1st next year. Most private schools require a deposit in the late winter/early spring of the previous year to hold a spot for a returning kid. That's probably why they can tell you your son is on a wait-list.

Assuming this isn't an extraordinarily small school, there's a decent chance one kid will drop out - as Val mentioned, families moving or a job change may happen over the summer.

I guess I would plan for an alternative (public K next year?) and stay on the wait list. Even if he goes to K in the Fall, maybe you could use his scores and the offer to place him in first grade from the private school as ammunition for a grade-skip.

Good luck - I know how frustrating it can be.

Last edited by twomoose; 03/15/11 08:25 AM.
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM