Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 246 guests, and 27 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    MyModalert, miappaa, Brooklyn, hellotoyou, polles
    11,456 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    I am new to this forum and in a bind. I am looking for an advocate in my area to help me with my daughter's GIEP. I bet maybe someone has posted on this topic before, but I need help ASAP.
    My daughter's GIEP states that the district will provide reports every three weeks (six week grading periods) regarding how teachers are differentiating her instruction/assignments. This was added at the end of last year. Since the beginning of the school year, I have received ONE report from 3 of 4 teachers. One stated the extent of the differentiate was asking harder questions during discussion and another essentially said no differentiate occured. (The third was acceptable.)
    Needless to say, we have requested to meet with the admin and teachers. I have been looking everywhere I can to find an advocate to go with me or advise me. We already contacted PAGE and the state of PA without any success. I would be grateful beyond belief if anyone could advise us on finding an advocate.
    I am a teacher so I know their language. When I called PDE, they said I could file a complaint. This upcoming meeting is my last attempt to fix this before I....???

D
    D
    Have you looked at Wrightslaw website? (.org I think) That might be a good place to start. From Emotions to Advocacy is a very helpful book.

I love that PA requires kids to be accomidated, and provides a complaint process, but you have to ask yourself, is Differentiation really going to give your DD what she needs?

Do you have any indication of her LOG? Are there any kids in her grade that she could sit near and have a reasonable challenge if differentiated material was provided. There is so much more to school than just what the teacher provides, that I hope you will ask for subject acceleration IF there are no peers for her.

If you can't find a real advocate, find a friend who owns a suit and ask them to come and take notes. Better than nothing!

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    megansmom I'll send you a PM.

JB

D
    D
    oh, Pete Wright also suggests bringing your clergyperson if you have one! (I have not taken that suggestion myself) Like Grinity's comment re: a friend with a suit.

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Thanks for the advice! I am thinking about inviting a school board member to the party too.

+1 to Dottie.

One teacher we had was able to pull off in class differentiation. The others have not be able to do so. Too much goes on during the day for that to happen realistically.

Subject acceleration OTOH has worked out great. The only real issues that come up are during the PSSAs... It's going to be a craaazzzy month!

JB

Originally Posted by deacongirl
    oh, Pete Wright also suggests bringing your clergyperson if you have one! (I have not taken that suggestion myself) Like Grinity's comment re: a friend with a suit.
    I'm getting really slap-happy now and did this Google search

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp&biw=1020&bih=563&q=online+clergy+certification&aq=0&aqi=g3g-v6g-b1&aql=&oq=online+clerg&bav=on.2,or.&fp=da4af607061c90a3

with the idea of getting an instant certification as a clergymember so I could go visit schools with parents as pastoral support.

TGIF
    Grinity

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Grinity-Is PA too far? smile

My daughter is in 9th grade.

9th Grade! Is she in the honors classes? Does your high school still have honors classes?

How are her grades?
    Did she take the SATs last year?

Are you willing to send her to CTY summer camp - would she be willing to go?

Which subjects is she most needing accommodation in?

What are her grades like?

Do you have an idea of her LOG?

Do you have any friends with similar-type kids in the older grades at this school?

Is homeschooling a possibility?

Are their 2E issues?

Have you tried contacting the Webmistress at Hoagies and asking for advice?

Peace,
    Grinity

How far are your from www.cmu.edu/cmites/ and Ann Lupkowski Shoplik
    I recommend you try calling someone there if you are geographically within 2 hours.

Contact Information:
    C-MITES, Carnegie Mellon University, Margaret Morrison St., MMP 30, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, Phone: (412) 268-1629, Fax: (412) 268-1049, Email: cmites@cmu.edu

A
    A
    You might want to e-mail Josephine Giaimo. She is a Gifted Advocate who is active on some of the Mensa e-lists, and she might have some suggestions for someone local to you.

josephinegiaimo@gmail.com

Q
    Q
    If you can afford an attorney, you can always contact the Pennsylvania Bar Association to get a referral for an education attorney or a civil rights attorney who handles some education cases. If you contact your district's parent association for special education, one of the parents should at least know who the education lawyers are in your vicinity.

If you can't afford an attorney, consider researching both your state and your district website. It is rather amazing how much information is hidden on those sites.

M
    OP Offline
    M
    So I had the meeting today with the high school principal, asst. principal, director of spec ed, and all of my daughter's current teachers. It went way better than I thought it would. First we met with the teachers. I basically said that my daughter deserves to be educated and challenged. Her teachers for this semester were willing to offer how they might differentiate. They asked me specific questions on what I think is best for her and how they can make this a better situation. Then we invited my daughter in so she could have an opportunity to share her thoughts and opinions and ask questions. Finally after the teachers and my daughter left I told the admins that the lack of instruction last semester for my daughter was not acceptable and missed opportunities for her. While we can't get that time back it should be a learning experience for them and their staff. They tried to make excuses, but I held firm. Because I am a teacher myself (kindergarten) I knew better than the excuses they gave. Hopefully the point I was hoping to make was made. A GIEP is a legal document that holds them accountable for giving my daughter (and other gifted children) the instruction they need and deserve.

Thank you to all of you that offered me support and info. I have started a file with names and info you provided me. THANKS A BUNCH!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Orange County (California) HG school options?
    by Otters - 06/09/24 01:17 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:02 PM
    Mom in hell, please help
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:00 PM
    Justice sensitivity in school / DEI
    by indigo - 06/06/24 05:58 AM
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM