Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 88 guests, and 41 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    P
    P
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    I've wondered occasionally if we should have advocated for DD to take the SAT/ACT in 7th, but my research on the subject uncovered what you mention-- that below a certain age, it really doesn't unlock much of anything, PG or not.

Our experience was exactly opposite of that. Without scores we could have used dynamite and not been able to cross through the college admissions door with a preteen. With the scores - open sesame! So, I would encourage anyone who thinks college is needed for their child to go ahead and try the SAT or ACT. We had zero problems with registering for either. The ACT has allowed registration online. The SAT will send you a registration packet by mail. And, of course there is always the option of registering through talent search but it is more expensive and less flexible on dates.

As far as accommodations, I agree it is a process and you need to allow time for that process. That is true no matter your child's age. If your child has a medical condition where they can't be apart from you or a person who has been trained in medical procedures probably you aren't thinking about registering them for independent college experiences at this point. So, I would guess it probably isn't something to worry about right now.

<nodding> Exactly why I said that it wouldn't unlock anything for her personally at this point, since residential summer programs are also problematic for her and independent college admission is also not in play.

We would have had her take it just for fun/practice/information anyway-- if it hadn't been such a pain to set up.

I just wanted to mention that for anyone else who has a child with a second exceptionality-- this adds another layer and a lot of time to the process.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    P
    P
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    We would have had her take it just for fun/practice/information anyway-- if it hadn't been such a pain to set up.

I just wanted to mention that for anyone else who has a child with a second exceptionality-- this adds another layer and a lot of time to the process.

That makes perfect sense. You can always do a sample test at home and get a pretty good idea how she'd score so that takes care of the information purposes part of it.

Thank you; that is a really terrific idea. smile

How did I never think of that??

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    M
    mayreeh Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Oddly enough, Snoopy did much better on the real deal than on the practice exam. Starting to remember now why I thought he would get a 25..... that is what he had on the practice exam.

LOL

Mary

Mary
    G
    G
    Awesome score mayreeh! Did your son take it on Feb. 12th? Anyone else get scores back yet? I heard they are really quick on getting scores out but I had my dd take the writing part also. I think it takes 2 weeks longer to grade.

C
    C
    Dd12 took it on 2/12 as well -- at least that sounds like about the right date. She went to a party the night before and went on way too little sleep and no prep, but she did reasonably well. We just got an e-mail yesterday that her scores were available online. Apparently ACT doesn't have the same deal as the SAT where you cannot access scores online before age 13.

I really wish that we had the $ for the Duke Marine Lab through TIP b/c she does qualify for their "Center" program but $3800 is out of the budget for this year. Maybe next year we'll use her ACT scores from this year and see if we can get financial aid. eta: She's an 8th grader so we're past the application deadline for TIP summer programs for that grade for this summer.

Last edited by Cricket2; 03/01/11 02:37 PM.
    G
    G
    I had read somewhere that you cannot access ACT scores online if under 13. Did you have to create an account?

C
    C
    They emailed me her login name which isn't something I had created. It seemed to be a combo of her name and something else. I tried to login and just said that I had forgotten the password and they sent me a new password. I was then able to login and get her scores. They do know her age. I put it on the application. I don't know. When she took the SAT last year that was the case -- we couldn't set up an online account b/c she was 11.

C
    C
    The actual printed copy of dd's Feb ACT scores came in the mail yesterday so maybe you all won't have too long to wait if you haven't gotten them yet.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM