Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 275 guests, and 29 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    How did it go?

JB

P
    pamom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    P
    It went ok. I decided to follow your advice and just listen. The gifted teacher is very nice and seems knowledgeable (and excited) They did listen to us. They also pointed out that while my daughter scorred 99% percentile in IQ- she scored 97% and 95% (in reading and math) and that she would still benefit from schoolwork in class( no acceleration) because she falls in above average and not superior range.

They do have some personalized instruction set out. While that was not typed out we did sign the PIEP b/c we did want her to get started. I think I will observe the next couple of months and know next grade to push her teacher and then ask to redo her PIEP. I will also ask for subject evaluation in her third grade. Did not wnat to be too pushy the first time around smile

Thanks for the advice!
    Also since you are in PA - is there any pther websites you find useful ?

P
    pamom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    P
    They did numerical operations only. Can I ask for "math reasoning" - can I ahve her rested next year? She is already in gifted program but they do not do any accelerated math with her.

THANKS
    pamom

P
    pamom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    P
    Thanks Dottie

Originally Posted by pamom
    They do have some personalized instruction set out. While that was not typed out we did sign the PIEP b/c we did want her to get started. I think I will observe the next couple of months and know next grade to push her teacher and then ask to redo her PIEP. I will also ask for subject evaluation in her third grade. Did not wnat to be too pushy the first time around smile
    So the original problem was that she was bored. I would monitor this on a weekly basis and see if the problem is solved 'enough.' I think you need to keep the teacher in the loop so that after about a month, she has some idea if it's working. Of course, perhaps it will work and wouldn't that be wonderful, but I wouldn't delay to report if it isn't working. Try to get into your mind that you aren't being 'pushy' you are helping the school to fulfill it's mission by doing your duty as a parent - which is to close the feedback loop.

It's wonderful if a child is able to behave well and make the best of things even while being unchallenged, but that child shouldn't be penalized for their good behavior - which is why parents have a duty to 'close the feedback loop' and keep their children's school informed if things are actually working or not.

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets