Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 460 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    F
    flower Offline OP
    OP Offline
    F
    This is a bit of a rant and also a hope for some relief of feeling bitter. Also ideas are very welcome or BTDT solutions. My dd13 goes to an alternative school which has a cool philosophy. The students are given a lot of freedom and are suppose to be responsible for their own learning. My DD has been bored in class. When I approached the school I think I was to blunt. However we have a gifted middle school program. All the paperwork has been cleared for her to be enrolled in the school (at least I believe it has) however when I asked if my DD could shadow a student I was told that the coordinator did not have enough time to organize this. One of the teachers at my DD's current school use to teach in the gifted program and says the classes are not any harder or different than the classes at her current school. So my next rant has to do with calling the High School and trying to find out about what test scores they use for entrance into the gifted program there. The woman was quite rude. She explained that they use such and such tests. I asked if they could use SAT scores and she said something to the extent of, "I just told you we use such and such tests." She then goes on to say that there is no way that she could see my DD's SAT scores. She has access to my DD's file. I was a bit dumb founded at that point as I can't imagine that people working in gifted education coordination would not know about talent searches etc. I met with the head of the gifted department and he was a great guy. I felt like he gets gifted kids and when I mentioned SAT scores for entrance into the high school program he thought it was completely possible to use the scores if we needed it. I could contact him and explain that I want my kiddo to shadow at the middle school program and I am sure he would make it happen. However, if she goes there I do not want her to have a negative relationship with the coordinator of the program. I like the woman and do feel that she is over-worked and under paid and I do think that she likes the kids. At my DD's current school she advocated for herself and got a different advisor who has implemented some changes to her program which has helped a little but I am not sure it is enough and it requires my DD to do independent study in two of the four core subjects. But I am not sure that it does not meet or outdo the gifted middle school.... I am just frustrated with the whole thing and wish the teachers and coordinators were as nice as the head guy was. I really do not like the way I feel after I have spoken with most of the people involved. Thanks for "listening"

And let me guess, the alternative school has limited spaces so there's no going back? Well, no advice, but take your time. Persistence overcomes resistance. So the head of the gifted dept was the highschool and the lady that brushed you off was the middle school? Even if she didn't pay you attention and then he told her to pay you attention as long as you're cool, sweet, and serene the next time she has to see you she'll probably look at you with a fresh set of eyes. She's probably just overworked and not seeing you clearly. Well, I'm really not sure. I was just trying to make you feel better. Good job with the shadowing idea and not just making a decision based on the brochure and school motto.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    F
    flower Offline OP
    OP Offline
    F
    Hi La Texican - It is so hard to write posts that are clear and don't ramble too much. There are two women, one at the middle school level and one at the high school level. There is a gentleman who oversees all the programs, elementary, middle and high school. He is new and seems to really get it. Thanks for the support. It was Grinity's idea for the shadowing idea. Hard to really know what a program is unless you get to see inside it. We know a few students who attend the middle school program and their parents are happy with the program. I am thinking that my kiddo will attend it for eighth grade. I wonder if others have trouble with the gifted personnel?

I wonder if you just ask the principle if you could let your daughter meet her prospective teachers sometime. That might help in decision.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    "gifted personnel"

Hmmmm.... how do I say this?

Does the word "titular" mean anything? How about "nominal?" LOL.

Our experience has been that we have to produce a "solution" in order to GET a solution to any problems. We have to consider why they may balk, and address those concerns as a part of pitching both problem and solution... and most of the people associated with "gifted" programming are entirely clueless about either: a) how gifted learners actually differ from students who are highly motivated/proficient but optimally intelligent, and/or b) unclear about practical applications regarding GT 'theory' of education.

So we get people who are interested in our problems-- but have no solutions to them... or those who are interested in providing solutions that quite simply are not real solutions for HG+ students.

I guess the short version is that I'm not entirely surprised, Flower.

It is what it is. This woman may not be much of a resource-- but that isn't unusual.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    C
    C
    "titular"

I had to look that up. Thanks for the new vocab. I plan to have fun with that one.

Warning: sleep deprived
    M
    M
    Originally Posted by Chrys
    "titular"

I had to look that up. Thanks for the new vocab. I plan to have fun with that one.

It's a great word to use in the right company, and a really funny word to use in the wrong company. grin

F
    flower Offline OP
    OP Offline
    F
    Its hard to believe and stomach that things can be this way..... I am still amazed, dumbfounded and I think just plain in shock that the high school gifted coordinator thinks that she can not see my DD's SAT scores. Her information was very different from the top guy who oversees the whole program. I know I keep repeating this but I just can't believe it.

Does one have to be gifted to teach and/or coordinate in a gifted program to get it? Or have a kiddo who is?

N
    N
    I think I would try a "saving face" approach and go to the lady who said she couldn't see your DD's SAT scores, assuming that the gentleman has had time to talk to her since then, and ask if you could have the SAT scores sent to her so that she would have them. "I'm sorry, I thought you had those, where can we have them sent so that you will receive them?" That lets her off the hook if she would like to work with you and be more helpful.

So is it pronounced "tight"ular or "tit"ular wink

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM