Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 375 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    LDmom #90395 12/02/10 05:42 AM
    T
    T
    DD took it at ages 9 and 10. We felt like "serious" prep would undermine what we wanted her to get out of it, so we didn't do a lot. The one thing we did both years was print out practice sections for math and have her work for 30 minutes (one practice each year). The goal there was just to give her a feel for time management since she'd never had to skip a problem or manage her time on state tests. It didn't generalize well enough for her to actually manage her time on the EXPLORE (but that's a longer post whistle ). I do think it probably allowed her to participate on test day without freaking out after not finishing a section. If you are prepping for that reason, I'd suggest ignoring the EXPLORE sample items and instead googling "released test items" and 8th or 10th grade (whichever will have problems on it that your kiddo might not know). That will allow you to print out a longer set of problems that may be slightly more representative of the type of work on the test. I chose to print out more problems than she could possibly finish in the 30 minutes and made sure there were problems she couldn't do yet. I prefaced the practice time by talking to her about identifying when she should skip and come back to a problem, and that was the extent of the follow up conversation too. We only checked accuracy on problems that weren't guesses--I didn't want to do "instruction" as prep, again, because that would have undermined what we personally wanted from the test. The exception was that I was willing to explain unfamiliar vocabulary since she sometimes had the concept but hadn't been exposed to the specific vocabulary of it.

Taminy #90398 12/02/10 06:34 AM
    Originally Posted by Taminy
    ... If you are prepping for that reason, I'd suggest ignoring the EXPLORE sample items and instead googling "released test items" and 8th or 10th grade (whichever will have problems on it that your kiddo might not know). That will allow you to print out a longer set of problems that may be slightly more representative of the type of work on the test...

Good idea. Our results on going to depend somewhat on the boy's mood that day. If he's in slow-mo mode, we're just not going to get great results. We definitely want him to get a sense of the time management part... so thanks for that suggestion.

JB

Taminy #90570 12/05/10 11:45 AM
    LDmom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Taminy
    I do think it probably allowed her to participate on test day without freaking out after not finishing a section. If you are prepping for that reason, I'd suggest ignoring the EXPLORE sample items and instead googling "released test items" and 8th or 10th grade (whichever will have problems on it that your kiddo might not know).

Thank you Taminy! He will be very sad if he doesn't finish a subtest on time. Thank you so much for the excellent suggestion. I will start googling right away!

LDmom #95066 02/19/11 10:44 AM
    DId anyone else's child (or did everyone else's child) take a one page, double-sided questionnaire on Intelligence before the Explore test?

LDmom #95072 02/19/11 03:56 PM
    My son said that it was more like a personality survey. "Choose things that you are good at." Not specific to intelligence according to him.

JB

LDmom #95073 02/19/11 04:15 PM
    My dd said it had to do with opinions about how Intelligence is increased. She said she was not sure what the data would be used for.

LDmom #95075 02/19/11 06:42 PM
    C
    C
    I just heard from dd that the survey asked the kids to id if they were more gifted in math/science, reading/writing, both, or something else. And do they do math at school, online, in classroom, in a small group, or in a higher level classroom. From what the kiddo said, it sounded like it might have something to do with perception of intelligence/talents. Or, that's what I interpreted from her description.

She took the Explore today in OH via Numats.

Warning: sleep deprived
    LDmom #95089 02/20/11 04:42 AM
    My feathers are a little ruffled about this questionnaire, which was formally given by the proctor. The one my daughter filled out had 8-10 questions all regarding her perception/beliefs about intelligence and if it could be changed. She rated each question along the continuum from strongly agree to strongly disagree.

It seems to me that our kids were used as part of someone's psych experiment. And the fact that they even mentioned the word intelligence before this test is a huge deal. Wondering if they give this before every Explore test?

LDmom #95090 02/20/11 05:18 AM
    I'm not sure why this little survey would ruffle feathers. My daughter said it didn't ask anything off the wall. Why would using the word "Intelligence being used before a test be a huge deal?

Mamabear #95107 02/20/11 08:23 AM
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by Mamabear
    I'm not sure why this little survey would ruffle feathers. My daughter said it didn't ask anything off the wall. Why would using the word "Intelligence being used before a test be a huge deal?
    If they want our kids to participate in a psychological survey or study, we should be notified as parents and sign a consent form. My oldest dd, when she was in 6th grade, participated in a survey at school given to kids who were ided as gifted in math. We had to read some info on the intent of the study and sign waivers. IRB/human subjects review usually requires that.

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM