Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 238 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Originally Posted by LotsOtots5
    Like Grinity said, it's maybe it's because he hasn't had the best teachers in school or the most supportive parent at home (okay grinity didn't say that part, hehe).
    LotsOtots5-
    I most certainly didn't say that your haven't been the most supportive parent at home!!! You've provided 4 siblings and character education - can't school be responsible for academics? It works that way for 97% of the population, it can't be your fault for not knowing that you weren't in the usual situation.

Now that I see the fluency score at the mean and the GAI at 148 it all makes total sense ( at least to me ) - Your child is PG and 2E, and these kids just don't 'present' like the typical 'teacher pleasing' optimally gifted kid. I think it's fine to leave the school situation as is for now, but do fill out that Davidson Application. My son has similar scores and range between his highs and lows, and I didn't 'get wise' until he was 8, so you aren't so very far behind me, plus your are here now, so it'll be easier to catch up.

I hope you apply and get accepted to Davidson, because it makes such a difference to see that there are kids out there who are 'like' your son, and that they are 'really really smart' even though they don't do well in regular schools.

If I haven't recommended 'Different Minds' by Deirdre V. Lovecky, Ph.D let me add that to the library list - excellent insights into 2e kids.

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    L
    OP Offline
    L
    I know, I know you didn't say that! I have a habit of being way too hard on myself and expecting perfection where perfection is never going to happen.

I am going to the library AGAIN today (practically live there) and will look for that book. They didn't have the other one you suggested so I'll have to look elsewhere.

Originally Posted by LotsOtots5
    I have a habit of being way too hard on myself and expecting perfection where perfection is never going to happen.
    Perfectionism is a huge issue among us gifties. I see it as a bit different from the perfectionism one reads about it books. I think for us the main issue is never have a big enough 'reference - group' to judge ourselves against. I know that before I got here, I compared myself mostly to characters in books. I'll bet you can guess that I didn't compare favorably to Anne Frank and Pippi Longstockings. But I loved them so!

I'll bet you a dollar that the reason you think your kiddo shouldn't be gradeskipped is because of your highly developed ability to critically see his faults and poorly developed knowledge of 'what kids are really like.' Let me know if I should get you my paypal account. ((wink))

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

L
    OP Offline
    L
    hehe You're funny wink

I bet you're right though. It's not until we see a group of kids in action that we see how different some really are. Unfortunatly it's been a while since I've been in the classroom.

I think our sense of humor is one of our biggest strengths. I was just thinking that you can feel proud of someone that you still don't 'grok' but to enjoy someone, you really have to be able to 'grok' them.
    smiles,
    Grin-ing-to-infinity Grinity

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing