Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 319 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    http://shopping.hwtears.com/category/prek
    I've used Handwriting without tears products, but not for this age group.

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    What about a Montessori-esque environment with more advanced materials? Basically setting up a lot of low shelves with activities that the kids can help themselves to like science experiments, maps, books, art supplies etc. If you just have one of each activity then the kids have to learn how to share or work together on the activity.

I think it might save you a lot of time/effort because herding a bunch of preschoolers to one activity at a time might be a near impossible task! wink

The other thing I was thinking of was lots of fun outings (not sure where you live?) but maybe you could round up some parent volunteers and take them to places like the zoo, art museums, natural history museums, a farm, factories etc.

Are there any parents that speak a second language in the co-op? Could it be there day at least once a week and everyone needs to speak that language? Maybe even switch all the posters/books over to that language on that day too. Songs in that language are always a must (and lots of fun too!). laugh

My daughter learned French in preschool. They also had tubs to plant various plants. This was from a grant and they learned so much about growing plants.

G
    OP Offline
    G
    Your ideas are wonderful!! Thank you again!!!

If this doesn't work out, we're looking at a Spanish-immersion preschool w/ a Montessori-trained teacher. We considered straight Montessori, too. Then we realized that we loved various aspects of the other preschools we saw too, like the science labs in one and theater in another, so our hope is to combine those ideas together. By the time we start, the children currently in our group will be between 3.4 (mine) and 3.9, so I think they'll be ready for a lot of these ideas, including the pre-k HWT. I'm not very creative, but the other two are, so I think we have a great team!

I'll let you know how it goes!!

HS Mom to DYS6 and DS2
    I wish we lived closer, we'd go play with you since mine's the same age. We live in the country so it's just us. I'm going to start timing my grocery shopping to match story/craft time at the library, at least.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    P
    P
    This is a random preschool activity comment -- I've noticed that with cut and paste it's the cutting (and the gluing too but not so much anymore as he is getting better at that) that keeps my DS3.5 from making exactly what he wants to. If ahead you cut out construction paper circles and triangles and other shapes of many colors (even some odd shapes that are for example hand or foot-like) and in all sizes, then starting with a empty sheet of paper or large square of cardboard to glue onto, preschoolers can make some complex and interesting pictures. And all on their own or with just the minimal help of getting glue on the pieces, without losing interest 2 minutes in because of being frustrated with not being good at cutting yet.

Polly

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader