Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 358 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Y
    yvonnemommy
    Unregistered
    yvonnemommy
    Unregistered
    Y
    Wow! Good for your boy! wink My daughter has been using a math program from beestar. There are two kinds of math programs. We are using the regular one. Maybe your kid can have a try the Gifted Talented Math. The worksheets are full of real life world problems, challenging stuff to help kids thinking. Pretty great. Have fun!
    Lisa

C
    OP Offline
    C
    Thank you all for sharing your thoughts. We've decided to keep him at his current school and in his current grade. The principal came through and told me on the first day of school after the Holidays that they will start letting him go to middle school science. He's going to start this week. Crossing fingers that it will work smile

Originally Posted by yvonnemommy
    My daughter has been using a math program from beestar. There are two kinds of math programs. We are using the regular one. Maybe your kid can have a try the Gifted Talented Math. The worksheets are full of real life world problems, challenging stuff to help kids thinking. Pretty great.

Lisa, thanks for the info. I will look into it and let him try some of the exercises.

Originally Posted by elastigirl
    I've got a 5th grader who is profoundly gifted. We are not grade accelerating because doesn't want to. We are working with ALEKS and home direct instruction.

Listen to your child's opinion. One thing I've learned from DI is that they need to be part of their own advocacy.

Elastigirl, we tried the ALEKS math for 1 month free trial. Both my DS and I think that they didn't give enough instruction. Like you, I had to sit down with him and gave the direct instructions. ALEKS is good for review, though ... As he just finished SM 6B, we're trying to decide between NEM and AoPS Intro to Algebra. Will it be too crazy to use both? I've heard that each one is an excellent program on its own and should not be used as supplements. Any thoughts?

A
    A
    Did you access the ALEKSpedia portion of the instruction before attempting new problems? When he first started using ALEKS, my son was reluctant to read first and then attempt problems - he would only read the explanations they gave if he got the problems wrong, not the long discussions and explanations that you could access at any time from the ALEKSpedia pages about that topic. He eventually came around, though...but it was a while before I even realized that he had the option of reading about the topic first because the program didn't require that you get instruction before attempting problems.

Originally Posted by Cocopandan
    The teacher assured us that he would not hold anyone back, and yet there was absolutely no differentiation. After our son spent 3 months doing review (despite us asking the teacher and the principal numerous times), we've finally decided that it was not working.

I am not sure how many times I've had the staff at our school tell me ds10 will get different work then of course it turns out he has to finish the other stuff first (he is not a speed demon so this never happens).

Originally Posted by aculady
    ...but it was a while before I even realized that he had the option of reading about the topic first because the program didn't require that you get instruction before attempting problems.

I noticed that when we did an Aleks trial several years ago. The EPGY courses seem to have an excellent level of verbal instruction from a (nice sounding) instructor, along with a video of what he/she is writing. And the info comes in bite-size chunks, then problems, then more lesson...I prefer that, and I know ds has been doing well with it. (just for future ref.)
    I mentioned EPGY to our ds' gifted teacher and she was pretty excited to know they had courses for younger kids now, much to my surprise.

We are in a similar boat for middle school. Ds is interested in the math/science magnet but pretty sure he doesn't want to 'start over' making friends, which I agree is a big deal for him. The chances of getting into one of the few slots for the transfer to the magnet are small, but we applied anyway, almost hoping for a 'no' so we can just be ok with the regular school (lol!). That is odd too, because it is only going to be his school for 1 year, there is a new school opening in 2012 so he will move again (unless he goes to the magnet). Probably most of his buddies will move to the new school, however.

Thank goodness the regular high school is probably exactly the right one (technology magnet).

Last edited by chris1234; 01/18/11 01:28 AM.
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    So schools who aren't meeting the needs of gifted kids are sometimes very quick to jump place the blame on a diagnosis, to distract from the idea that they aren't really providing a particular child with an education, only daycare.

Active boys get a lot of attention paid to their activity, and literal little boys get a lot of attention paid to their lack of social understanding. When the school pointed out that he wasn't able to draw conslusion about reading, I jumped to the conclusion that they are gearing up to see if you'll buy an AS diagnosis.

Grinity, I agree the schools sometimes seem to jump to suggesting problems in kids that are not fitting in, but at least in my experience it hasn't been out of any actual 'sense' that they are not doing their jobs!! wink
    Seriouly, I think they are probably mostly genuinely concerned teachers out there, but oblivious to the differences in students at the upper end. Sigh.

Originally Posted by chris1234
    Grinity, I agree the schools sometimes seem to jump to suggesting problems in kids that are not fitting in, but at least in my experience it hasn't been out of any actual 'sense' that they are not doing their jobs!! wink
    Seriouly, I think they are probably mostly genuinely concerned teachers out there, but oblivious to the differences in students at the upper end. Sigh.
    Thanks Chris - that is much better put. On the individual level I agree that it's mostly perplexed and concerned individuals. You put it much better than I did. I was trying to convey a sense of how the whole system works (or fails) in an impersonal way. I do believe that most of the people involved are very good caring individuals working off of a 'bad map.' But good caring individuals have historically done lots of things that look pretty bad in retrospect because they were working off the only 'mental map' available at the time. And those mental maps are so appealing to us humans, we are loath to give them up when better data comes along. It does make me all the more grateful when I interact with the few school folks who 'get' our situation.

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Thank you all for sharing your thoughts. We've decided to keep him at his current school and in his current grade. The principal came through and told me on the first day of school after the Holidays that they will start letting him go to middle school science. He's going to start this week. Crossing fingers that it will work smile
    Cocopandan,
    That is wonderful news! I hope he has a great experience, and I bet that he will!
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Y
    yvonnemommy
    Unregistered
    yvonnemommy
    Unregistered
    Y
    Lisa, thanks for the info. I will look into it and let him try some of the exercises.
    Hi Cocopandan! You're welcome. I will be very happy if it helps. grin
    Lisa

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM