Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 203 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    AlexsMom #90588 12/05/10 08:00 PM
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    Originally Posted by AlexsMom
    Originally Posted by shellymos
    he announces "supercalafragalisticexpialadoshus has 14 syllables....and also 14 vowels" People just aren't sure what to say to comments like that.

"16 vowels, actually." wink (Each syllable has one vowel sound in it, but the last sound is spelled with 3 vowels.
    supercalifragilisticexpialidocious )

lol. Good point about the vowels. Funny thing is that I asked DS tonight how many vowels he had said it had and he said "16" I guess that I wasn't paying much attention to that part as I was checking out at the doctors. And I also had to google how to spell it as that word is not typically in my vocabulary and the googled spelling was clearly wrong. I should have noticed it since DS was spelling it out loud to me all the time at a young age. Not sure where he actually got the spelling from...

Iucounu #90589 12/05/10 08:02 PM
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by Iucounu
    The idea was that possibly the first syllable would have two vowel sounds ("oo" and "eye").

Not to my ear-- I'd divide it as QUI- ET, the two vowels being the long I in QUI and the short e in ET.

I hear the qu as equivalent to kw-- not a vowel at all.

DeeDee

S
    OP Offline
    S
    Originally Posted by La Texican
    Oil changes across the mason Dixie line.

lol, I am from NY but lived down south for 4 years. It's pretty funny how much variety there can be on how many syllables there are in words depending on how they are pronounced. Funny story (yet completely unrelated) was when I went to a subway in TN and the woman at the counter kept saying "white or wheat?" I kept hearing her say "water wait." I was very confused and said " uh....I will have water." by about the 3rd time she said it my friend was cracking up and had to translate for me.

shellymos #90593 12/05/10 08:38 PM
    N
    N
    Ha! Shelly, I think I've had that exact same conversation!

Reminds me of when my mother heard a Canadian lady at a yard sale say she was looking for pants for her husband to "hack a boat in".

shellymos #90598 12/05/10 10:34 PM
    D
    D
    Yup. I sure am glad I'm from California where we all, like, talk, like, perfectly normal and stuff. I just, like, have a hard time understanding all them foreign speakers from other states and whatnot. Like, totally!

Love teasing my good Canuck friends aboot their idiosyncrasies.

And just so this relates somewhat to the original post, we are extremely proud of our son -- but not for his giftedness. We consider ourselves blessed (or cursed, depending on the day) for his gifts, and are proud of him when he applies himself to overcome whatever challenge he might face.

Being offended is a natural consequence of leaving the house. - Fran Lebowitz
    DeeDee #90601 12/06/10 01:56 AM
    Originally Posted by DeeDee
    I'd divide it as QUI- ET

Of course, as I wrote.

I hear the qu as equivalent to kw-- not a vowel at all.

That's certainly one way to hear it. I think another is as a long U sound; I've driven myself silly trying not to produce a long U sound when I say "quiet", and can't. I'm sure there are plenty of others I could easily come up with ("ai" comes to mind from long-ago days as a Scrabble player), but these things seem to be arguable by nature. And I'm sure a linguist would pop out of the woodwork to announce that "ai" is a diphthong. smile

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    shellymos #90618 12/06/10 09:25 AM
    A
    A
    kyoo-ee-et? I can't figure out how to say quiet with a long U.

GoogleDictionary says ai is either a long I sound, or a two-syllable word said like ah-ee.

The more I think about it, the harder it is to pronounce a word naturally, or to figure out which sounds I hear, and which are artifacts of an artificial pronunciation!

shellymos #90620 12/06/10 09:35 AM
    Koo-eye-ette. I can only imagine it being screamed thusly in a movie perhaps.
    Words are always too funny if you think too closely about them.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    AlexsMom #90621 12/06/10 09:46 AM
    Originally Posted by AlexsMom
    kyoo-ee-et? I can't figure out how to say quiet with a long U.

Every time you say it, you're saying it with a long U sound (U as in "tube"). That sort of sums up my confusion about why the whole system of deciding which vowel sounds are separate has to be so messed up.

I would have thought that it was completely natural to decompose vowel sounds into their component vowel sound parts-- so "queue" would be composed of one consonant sound and two vowel sounds, roughly "k-ee-oo". This would lead to considering some letters to actually contain more than one sound, like long I-- which it actually does, to listen to it, "ah" and "ee", with a graduated transition between them. I would have considered something to be an atomic-level sound if one could make it without having to move the mouth to change the sound during utterance.

GoogleDictionary says ai is either a long I sound, or a two-syllable word said like ah-ee.
    Yes, I know. That's one reason I chose it. The "ah-ee" is actually on there with a different pronunciation that stresses the boundary between the two sounds, but that doesn't mean that the one-syllable sound doesn't have those two sounds, though they're blended into each other. And unless you artificially introduce a hard break between the two sounds, the transition is always there, even if you give longer time to the sounds in isolation.

The more I think about it, the harder it is to pronounce a word naturally, or to figure out which sounds I hear, and which are artifacts of an artificial pronunciation!

One fun thing for me is that pronouncing a word out loud enough times can make it sound alien and even wrong.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    Iucounu #90628 12/06/10 10:21 AM
    T
    T
    luoconu, if I say quiet like the guys from car talk would, is that about right?

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM