Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 366 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Originally Posted by Nik
    Grinity, thanks! That's interesting about rc, I'm bookmarking it for when I get really serious about becoming a better person :-).
    LOL - I think parenting a Gifted child should take care of the 'better person' slot! And as far as getting 'really serious' - well...((wink)) ....do I have too?

Although, I do admit that I was one of those 'super serious' gifted kids who really really needed to be surrounded by people who cared about social justice, and RC helped me not feel 'totally weird' because I cared.

Hummm
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    Thanks for all the responses. I am still trying to sort out if my 9 year old 5th grader has developmental attentional
    issues (attributed to her being 1.5 yrs younger due to
    grade acceleration), or could possibly have ADD. Interestingly,
    she does much better in her once a week pullout G/T classes which are academically more challenging than her regular
    5th grade classes where she is making As and mid-Bs,

Maybe I am expecting too much.

A
    A
    Originally Posted by sylvia123
    Interestingly,
    she does much better in her once a week pullout G/T classes which are academically more challenging than her regular
    5th grade classes where she is making As and mid-Bs,

Are there any other differences aside from level of academic challenge between the pull-out classes and the regular classes that could account for this?

Are the pullout classes quieter with fewer distractions?

Is she placed physically closer to the teacher and/or the board in the pullouts? (That is, is it easier for her to see and hear what is going on?)If this is the major difference, consider getting hearing and vision thoroughly tested (not just screened).

Are the pullout classes in a different kind of format than the regular classes? (discussion vs. lecture vs. project-oriented, etc.) This can be a clue to learning style, but also a flag for possible LD, hearing or vision issues as well. (For example, a child who does well with discussions but poorly with written or other visual format work may have vision or visual processing issues that aren't picked up on simple visual acuity tests.)

If there are no obvious differences between the classes other than level of challenge that might account for one environment being harder to pay attention in than the other, you might be looking at a situation where the regular 5th grade classes are still a poor enough academic fit that she is zoning out and missing details because so much of the material is below her level.

If there are environmental differences that could be affecting ability to pay attention in regular class, you might want to check with the regular teacher(s) to see if they can do anything to make the environment easier for her to handle, such as changing her seating to be closer to the teacher or the board, or presenting assignments in more than one mode (Writing assignments, due dates, and instructions for completing them on the board or on handouts in addition to announcing them out loud, for instance.)

Couple of organizational/Executive Skill books that I've been finding helpful lately in our quest to hothouse some of these skills and/or provide scaffolding which is age appropriate in an educational environment which is not so age-appropriate.

Smart But Scattered. Peg Dawson and Richard Guare. (that one has been mentioned before, I know)

The Organized Student, by Donna Goldberg.

We're using some of the techniques in both books to help DD self-regulate her own activities and develop an organizational style that works for her.

HTH!

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM