Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 136 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    T
    OP Offline
    T
    I have resisted buying these workbooks because the names makes me cringe, but I finally caved and bought "Math for the Gifted Student", by Flash Kids (at Barnes and Noble).

It is awesome. Really fun, cool and interesting activities not strictly covering the normal curriculum, with lots of puzzles, logic testing, patterns, cool geometry stuff. I'm not so good on grade level, but I think it's pretty much on/around the grade level advertised. So we have the grade 2 book, and grade 2 is right for another couple of books we have. It has a ton of color pictures, though, and really appeals to my younger child. And it's almost 200 pages, which at five pages a night will last us a couple of months.

I also bought the normal grade 2 book from the same company, and it's definitely written for seven year olds following the curriculum. There is lots of arithmetic in this one, not as much in the fun one. Lots of numbers and sums and not as many pictures or games.

Hope this helps other people trying to find things with pictures and less arithmetic.

A
    A
    We got the first grade version of that one, and I agree with your assessment!

C
    C
    That's great! I've been considering those but just wasn't sure, now I shall have to go to B&N and seriously check them out!

Thanks!!

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    B
    B
    We have those and I LOVE LOVE LOVE THEM! We bought the math for 4th grade gifted and the reading, and math for gifted for 2nd grade and they are both just AWESOME workbooks!

B
    B
    My DC loved the abstract thinking and logic puzzles vs. the straight fowardness that other books provided. I HIGHLY recommend them!

C
    C
    So if I have a 6 yr old 1st grader doing 3rd grade math through k12 and EPGY what level book do I buy him?

(ditto for a 5 yr old Ker doing 1st grade math)

B
    B
    I have to say, the level of the books was very accurate. I had a child working several years ahead across the board and I flipped through all the books and decided to get the correct grade level. the challenges are abstract enough that it was sufficient. Then when we were approved for a grade skip, we went with the skipped grade level and it too, was spot on. It's not like most workbooks where you need to buy the grade level several years ahead. Being a gifted book, it assumes the child is working ahead of level already. I would see if you could look at one at Barnes and Noble and see for yourself what would work best. It would depend on the child. If that isn't possible, go with one grade ahead of current, maybe, and if there are sections that he can't do, save them for later.

M
    M
    Originally Posted by CourtneyB
    So if I have a 6 yr old 1st grader doing 3rd grade math through k12 and EPGY what level book do I buy him?

My almost 4.5 year old has been working in the 1st grade math book just fine.

ETA: We did put it away and I just pulled it out to look at. It's not going to be very challenging for her anymore. I would try and thumb through them to see the content if I were you.

T
    OP Offline
    T
    Originally Posted by CourtneyB

I would go for third grade and 1st grade. The puzzles and games are around and extensions of the normal grade level work, I think.

We have the 2nd grade book and it has simple logic problems, patterns to continue (both color, shape and number), permutations (of digits, colors, meals and other things), word problems for addition and multiplication, color fractions, estimation of lengths and weights, creating and reading line graphs. But having said that, I'd really enjoy doing most of the sheets in the book, and I'm working well past 2nd grade.

Last edited by Tallulah; 10/23/10 10:53 AM.
    Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM