Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 110 guests, and 29 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    T
    OP Offline
    T
    Originally Posted by mnmom23
    What about these as a possiblity? Word problems, but just a few per page and lots of bright, friendly, big pictures:
    http://www.flashkids.com/

Also, the series of workbooks for gifted kids that's mentioned in another thread, Math for the Gifted Student, has lots of big, bright pictures:
    http://productsearch.barnesandnoble...gifted+student&flag=False&ugrp=2

LOL, I was the OP in that thread. And those are the books the school is using for enrichment, too!

Originally Posted by Tallulah
    Help me before I have to write all my own worksheets...But we have a huge problem - I can't find anything pre-written that isn't a huge leap in terms of presentation style from the second grade stuff.

One quick suggestion, in case you haven't seen it yet. The British MEP curriculum offers free worksheets from Kindy (they call it Reception) onwards. We've loved the puzzle-like format.
    http://www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/projects/mepres/primary/default.htm

Originally Posted by La Texican
    She might love the supermind magnetic game if she likes the tanagrams.
    What's wrong with plain stencils and pencils? It can always turn into a straight edge and compass when she gets older. When she gets older she can have the book "building stars and polygons" but for now a sacred geometry coloringbook from Michaels is fine. I think kindergarten is a great year to start sorting and wrapping coins you bought from the bank. It's cheaper than the base ten sets because it didn't cost anything, you still have all the money.

Idk if i've a homeschoolers heart or if I'm a latent closet shopaholic who now has a childrens education to blame it on guilt free. This is new.

ROFL. Exactly.

I put together a "measurement" math center in a plastic storage box when my DD was about that age. Alas, she was the polar opposite, in that she LOATHED manipulatives of any kind and loved to read.

Anyway.
    I think that most of the books in this series are a great deal of fun:

Shoebox Math Learning Centers

Unfortunately, they were also a LOT of work for me to set up for just my DD, who rapidly progressed right out of them... I just recall that there were a TON of activities in that one that didn't rely upon reading skills and seemed to be directly aimed at your child's specific interests. One was a series of shapes printed with grids that could be colored in... another involved skip counting with fun pictures to color, etc.

It tops out at about third grade, however.

Another idea: a 'beginner balance' (two-pan with a center fulcrum) and gram cubes (Nasco sells them in a big bucket-- they can be used like Unifix cubes or linked and used as Cuisinaire rods, too).

Our measurement box contained: a flexible cloth tape measure, a rain guage, a thermometer, the beginner balance and gram cubes, a stopwatch, paper and pens, and a variety of containers labeled with volumes. That's what I remember, anyway.

Wonder if this would be good?
    Mega-Fun Card Game Math Gr 3-5 It's certainly inexpensive enough to be low-risk, anyway.

I'm sure that someone somewhere has probably already mentioned this one:
    Mystery Pictures-- multiplication I know that "coloring" kids love those-- but anti-drill-n-kill kids may rapidly develop quite the aversion to them, too. (BTDT.)

There is also MathArt Grades 3-5, which is terrific for kids to explore concepts like place value and statistics via art projects.

My own DD loved stuff like this: Math Mysteries but they would definitely require a parent/teacher to be reading to the child if s/he can't yet read well. Still, they are quite clever and engaging, which is appealing to GT kids. (Think Cam Jansen meets Encyclopedia Brown meets Nancy Drew.)

Last edited by HowlerKarma; 02/15/11 04:37 PM.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM