Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 359 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12
    Originally Posted by La Texican
    She pulls her hair and cries about it, pulling harder, not knowing it's her own hand pulling her own hair. �Ds just already knew his own body better than that from the day he was born.

FWIW, DD did the same as an infant and still pulls her hair when stressed. She's always done this as a self-soothing technique (no clue why that's at all soothing!).

H
    OP Offline
    H
    Embarrassing, but I still bite my finger when I am stressed.

Austin #86758 10/06/10 03:23 PM
    Congratulations to all the new moms and dads and parents-to-be!

O
    O
    Originally Posted by HelloBaby
    Embarrassing, but I still bite my finger when I am stressed.
    There are many worse habits than that. Don't feel too bad.

J
    J
    Originally Posted by La Texican
    Well now I have two babies to compare what "infant alertness" means to me. �My dd, to me, is kind of floppy. �I was thinking it was because she's so long, over 21". �But she's not really floppy. �Everyone seems surprised that at two weeks she's lifting her head to look around. �(she always could). �I keep getting comments on how strong she is. �I have to support her head in the in-between times. �I never had to hold ds' head. �I put her on her belly at a few days old. �It was hard for her to lift her head from there. �She couldn't push up on her arms, only her bottom. �Ds pushed up on all fours and easily lifted his head. �I would've known that was unusual if I thought about it, but I was to busy enjoying my baby to think about it. �My MIL pointed out how strange it was, is the only reason I thought to take a picture of him.
    She does cross her eyes sometimes. She looks surprised if her hand crosses her line of sight. �She pulls her hair and cries about it, pulling harder, not knowing it's her own hand pulling her own hair. �Ds just already knew his own body better than that from the day he was born.
    The first few days ds was more fascinated and interacting with the environment and the people around him. �He would turn and look directly at whoever was talking to him, curious, since just minutes after he was born. �She's more cat-like. �She'll hold eye contact for a little while whenever it suits her. �She's more fascinated in exploring her own body. �In the first few days she did a lot of rapid blinking and isolating and wriggling various body parts. �I guess it's what everybody's describing as sensory seeking. �She's aware of us. �She communicates. �She was two days old when she looked me in the eye and started clenching/unclenching her fist and wriggling her tongue as either sign language or charades for "I'm hungry". �But she's more on her own little trip and ds wanted to be where the action is and engage the people around him as a newborn. �And ds would scootch across the bed, up to a foot and a half away, as a newborn to nurse. �The girl makes sucking sounds, if that doesn't work she cries. �("if at first you don't succeed cry and cry again"). �
    To me my pretty princess is just a little more delicate. �That's all the new stuff I had to add.

My two were like your two, almost exactly how you described!

H
    OP Offline
    H
    Do that differences have something to do with boy vs girl?

Originally Posted by HelloBaby
    Do that differences have something to do with boy vs girl?

I hope it's ok I answer this one. I would say no.

with dd now 7 a couple of hours after she was born, when I was settled in my room , DH and I were just in giggles about how aware she was. She was tracking both of our movements to the point it was just hysterical. I had DD laying facing me and was trying to move the blanket out of the way so my DH could take a picture and she was eye balling my hands in the picture.lol

I agree with Skylersmommy. Our DD was very alert from birth and if you accept Dr. Ruf's LOG this implies HG+ no matter the gender.

Originally Posted by Katelyn'sM om
    I agree with Skylersmommy. Our DD was very alert from birth and if you accept Dr. Ruf's LOG this implies HG+ no matter the gender.

DD was also very alert from birth. She spent the first two days of her life screaming. We have no clue if she's HG (or even gifted at this point since she's too young to test) but she was definitely alert.

I definitely chalk her alertness up to personality, though. She has NEVER had a problem speaking her mind or letting us know what she wants!

I don't know if it's because she's a girl. I think it's more probably because I was in slightly better shape the first time and was pickier about diet and exercise.
    She's half a month old now and has held herself in a sitting position using the strength of her back and her arms as she pulled my hair. She was wobbly, but held it. I'm thinking she's at least a week behind her brother, but the hubby pointed out she was one week late being born, my son was two weeks late. I don't know if that extra time might help their development..?
    She still needs her head supported when she's not actively doing something. LoL @ the speaking your mind. I said the first day, "wow, she's good at crying". Maybe the part where she's in her own little world until she wants your attention means she'll be less (of a pest?, needy?, demanding? How's the nice way to call a great kid who needs to engage someone 24/7?)

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM