Good luck!!! - One last thought from someone also in the thick of it. If your state is a one that is mandated (green, blue or orange on the "how gifted is your state" page) then start at the top. Once you get your answer from the teacher bring it straight to the top. I've found that the teacher has next to no power and the principal has even less. What I mean by that, is the principal just does what she is told by the school board and the teacher can do some things under the table if she wants but not much. It's the school board that makes the policy and is responsible for enforcing it.

Maybe you'll get lucky and find out that the policy is actually in place it's just no one has ever made them enforce it. That is where the fun starts!!!

That's where I'm at with mine. What I'm asking for is to add science to his IEP. I was told that it wasn't possible. They only do math and reading. That is what the regular ed teacher told me, the gifted teacher, the principal, the IEP coordinator, and the director of special ed for our entire district. Only they are all wrong! I looked it up and the actual policy at the district, state and federal level (we are a blue state) support my request. It's just no one has ever pushed for it. It may be a long road and I know I'll get there! You will too!!!!

Keep us posted!