Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 243 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    A
    A
    Academic Earth is amazing. The Open Course Ware link looks great too. My Canadian addition is Big Ideas You can subscribe to the video or audio podcast versions via ITunes. It's a personal fav...

Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    Now, this might only be moderately alarming... but for us, it's TERRIFYING, since she also has a life-threatening hidden disability that has required a lot of us as parents in terms of management. (Complicated, I know...)

We will have managed to delay her graduation from high school until she's 14,

Welcome HowlerKarma,
    Your DD sounds like a wonderful kid. I am wondering if you are planning to send her to University for her undergraduate degree when she is older? If so, I would strongly urge you to find a way to delay her formal graduation from High School until she is old enough to 'go off' to college. She can take lots of community college classes while she is still officially in High School, but it is a little bit complicated.

Have you considered joining Davidson YSP? They sponsor an email list for parents of kids who have done or considered early college. This might be a very good resource for your situation. They have considerable experience with various colleges, questions of dorm living, etc.

Welcome and More Welcome,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    She is omnibus gifted, which is a definite bonus-- it has allowed her to still be educated via a "school" (she's effectively been accelerated four grades) which means that we don't have (and hopefully won't have) the same issues convincing our local community college to let her enroll at 12. It isn't as though they have to take our word for it. (We got a lot of that kind of push-back when we homeschooled. Maddening.)
    HowlerK,
    I would make some inquires NOW. I've heard stories about CCs not being thrilled about taking kids under age of 16, and I don't think a High School Diploma is nescessarily going to help. A lot depends on the individuals who are making decisions. I've heard of situation where the Parent was expected to sit next to the child during class, and I don't get the picture that that is going to work well for your family.

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

We have brainstormed a TON of different options over the years-- but she's also a very strong-willed and determined little creature. In other words, we're in some ways providing 'drag' as far as we are able...

luckily, we're in a good location (geographically) to have this be a smooth transition for her. She can live at home and attend community college coursework at 14, 15... and then smoothly transition into an excellent public university (and even transfer credits directly-- the two institutions have virtually 100% reciprocity arranged) for an undergrad degree.

We aren't too concerned about where she does an undergrad degree, and we know several homeschooling families locally that have had their kids follow that same path beginning at 13-15 years old. So there is some precedent for it.

While I would like it better if DD didn't graduate from high school until she's 16 or so, she would never in a million years tolerate that. Honestly, we've done pretty well to slow her down as much as we have, and it has definitely not been easy since both she and the school have wanted to accelerate her at least one more year. As parents, we said "NO. Really-- just... NO." We are somewhat hopeful that we might be able to convince her to do a gap year.

Dorm living in her case would be virtually impossible even if she were chronologically more typical, just due to the nature of her disability. Pragmatically, I mean. Oh, sure, I'm pretty savvy on the legal aspect of things, and we *could* no doubt extract accommodations to make a dorm placement possible... but there's what looks good on paper, and then there is what happens in reality. Call me a cynic, but we've learned that it's generally wiser to anticipate that others will make mistakes, and that in light of that, it's better not to give them the chance. It's a part of the management that DD has to learn in order to successfully navigate life with her particular disability. A lack of trust is actually a healthy thing-- as bizarre as that seems. Fortunately, her executive function is not at all delayed. Long explanation, and vague, I realize-- but 'disability' here is completely medical and episodic in nature; the real problem is that she's always vulnerable to the actions of those around her.

She's fortunate that DH and I both have professional experience in a variety of environments in academia-- so we have good insider info and better perspective on what's necessary/optional/not recommended as a pathway. DD has also spent a lifetime on college campuses, so she has no difficulty with inappropriate conduct in the environment. wink

DYS is absolutely an option, however.

Last edited by HowlerKarma; 02/07/11 12:02 PM. Reason: stupid UBB code typos

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    luckily, we're in a good location (geographically) to have this be a smooth transition for her. She can live at home and attend community college coursework at 14, 15... and then smoothly transition into an excellent public university (and even transfer credits directly-- the two institutions have virtually 100% reciprocity arranged) for an undergrad degree.

We aren't too concerned about where she does an undergrad degree, and we know several homeschooling families locally that have had their kids follow that same path beginning at 13-15 years old. So there is some precedent for it.

Wow - you are wonderfully situated! Can I move to where you are? (humor alert)
    It's so great that you have local connections and local models - priceless!

I get what you are saying about strong willed kids, and I personally think that dorm living well, has plenty of pros and cons.

I often giggle to think that in just a few years families will be able to buy the opportunity to have genetically engineered kids like this, and I would love to see the faces of those folks when them meet their strong willed kiddos. Fantasy and reality can be soooo different.

see you @ DYS!

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Originally Posted by Grinity
    She is omnibus gifted, which is a definite bonus-- it has allowed her to still be educated via a "school" (she's effectively been accelerated four grades) which means that we don't have (and hopefully won't have) the same issues convincing our local community college to let her enroll at 12. It isn't as though they have to take our word for it. (We got a lot of that kind of push-back when we homeschooled. Maddening.)
    HowlerK,
    I would make some inquires NOW. I've heard stories about CCs not being thrilled about taking kids under age of 16, and I don't think a High School Diploma is nescessarily going to help. A lot depends on the individuals who are making decisions. I've heard of situation where the Parent was expected to sit next to the child during class, and I don't get the picture that that is going to work well for your family.

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Definitely true, what Grinity posts above; absolutely make inquiries to BE SURE that an institution has no "issues" with a very young registrant. Many will. Some of those concerns have to do with the limitations placed on institutions of higher learning-- they are often specifically prohibited under the law from acting in loco parentis. When dealing with children under the age of sixteen or so, this has profound implications for the institution from a liability standpoint, and sometimes from an insurance one.

We had the first of those conversations when DD was just eight years old, so we understand what they have as concerns, and what we will need to do to reassure them and work with them so that it's possible. smile

We also know other families that have taken this same path forward with the same institutions.

Our very first step is going to be a "history" of side-by-side enrollment with a parent in a community/non-credit course or two starting this year. Art, Tai Chi-- that kind of thing. DD is fine with that and so are we. Next step will be for-credit foreign language next year-- again, side-by-side with a parent. This is also fine, since it's something we not only don't mind doing, it's something we've planned to do as a family anyway.

That's a strategy that we've crafted with input from the institution's administration, other families that have done similar things, and DD herself. If she were not okay with taking a class or three with mom and dad, then this would be a lot less likely to work. She's also (by virtue of the aforementioned disability) entirely accustomed to mom and dad being just, well, "there" like flies on the wall at most extracurricular activities.

Anyway. Grinity has some excellent points here. Hopefully I've clarified why this is likely to work out well for my DD-- and the considerations that we've had to apply in formulating this plan.

Heehee.... yeah, well... higher ed may be mighty fine around here, but there's an EXCELLENT reason why we aren't in any local brick-and-mortar schools. K through 12 is a different story.

(We're in an "orange" state... and while they theoretically have to have a plan to identity and "serve" GT kids in schools... let's just say that there are few things missing. Like actual differentiation, for starters. Or identification-- GT kiddos pretty much have to be like mine to get noticed as "gifted" candidates. Er... nor is there any funding, come to think of it. crazy)

Back onto the thread topic, however...

our experience has been that homeschooling absolutely accelerated the rate of learning. Because there was no good (ie-- healthy) way to fetter DD's natural inclinations to use her learning strengths to best advantage, we found that her progress was at least 150-200% faster when homeschooling. Even as compared to what she's done since, I mean. She literally went from preK material into Singapore 3B and reading at about a Lexile 8-10 level in eighteen months.

I honestly believe that if we'd continued homeschooling, several things would have resulted:

a) DH would have had me involuntarily committed (kidding-- sort of)
    b) DD would have been in need of college-level material at about 8-9 yo (we've so far managed to delay that by about three years, we think)
    c) we'd have gone completely broke.

Like annalisa, I spent so much time, money, and energy on materials that DD either refused to use at all, or enthusiastically used once. (Ask me to share my horror stories about "shoebox math centers," go ahead... crazy)

DD loved school materials and workbooks. The problem was that she'd hit a wall with it (well, that's what it looked like to ME, as an experienced educator, anyway)... next thing I knew, she and I would be in an all-out power struggle and she would do NOTHING at all for weeks. Then, without warning, the rest of the workbook (or whatever it was) would be just plain obsolete from a learning perspective. Just *boom* and mastery. I don't know how she does that, but she still does that kind of thing.

When I enrolled her in school {virtual charter school-- that is an important consideration here}, we placed her as a third grader, but I really had no idea what her actual placement should be. I only knew that she got very nearly perfect scores on the CAT5 for second grade two months previously. She then raced through the entire third grade curriculum in about five weeks, working at her own pace. The following year, she finished 4th grade by winter break, and then we had to tussle with the school over them sending her 5th grade, which they finally did-- unfortunately, she had some medical problems that prevented her from working in March and much of April, she only had about five weeks to work and only got about halfway through. We all agreed that having her repeat that for the first half of the following year would be a complete losing proposition. I think my exact words were a horrified "If that's what we're doing, someone ELSE needs to be doing it with her, because I'm not going to put myself through four months of forcing her to do things she's done previously." eek

We made DD promise to do her best to NOT work ahead-- to stay in synch with her (GT) classmates beginning in 6th grade. She's done that... though not without some pretty significant grousing on occasion.

We do a TON of enrichment.

This works because we control the school environment... and they control the absolute 'required elements.' We control the "how" of learning, however, and the basic pace. No drill-and-kill, and no problems allowing for the organizational skills of an 11yo.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM