Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 211 guests, and 26 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    MyModalert, miappaa, Brooklyn, hellotoyou, polles
    11,456 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #80195 07/12/10 12:56 PM
    K
    ktmo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    Anyone else getting ready for kindergarten? Can we have a kindergarten thread?

My DD (turned 5 in May) starts kindergarten in the fall. We went back and forth on where she should go, but decided to go with our local ps. DD has an IEP for speech, so she has some history with the school, and one of the reasons we opted against private school. We had testing done to rule out a learning disability due to family history. I meet with the school in the spring and came away feeling pretty good. I am still quite nervous. I hope that she has a smooth transition.

C
    C
    My DD who turns 5 in September is starting K in August. She is not my gifted child - she's never been tested but we're pretty sure she is more than 'average' - she's definitely not as gifted as big brother.

J
    J
    Haha... I just made one. I will delete it. smile

Originally Posted by CourtneyB
    My DD who turns 5 in September is starting K in August. She is not my gifted child - she's never been tested but we're pretty sure she is more than 'average' - she's definitely not as gifted as big brother.
    I wouldn't be so sure - plenty of parents have been suprised by 2nd born girls, expecially if first born is a boy. Fewer 'party tricks' and 'unusual social quirks' doesn't mean less gifted. I don't know why this is, but around here we sing 'test one, test 'em all.'

((wink))
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    K
    K
    DS5 starts K in the fall. I'm not sure how it's going to go. Academically, he is further ahead than my girls were at this age. I'm worried that K will be a disappointment.

K
    ktmo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    I am glad that there are others in the same boat. I am hoping things go smoothly. I am waiting on getting her teacher assignment.

J
    J
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    Originally Posted by CourtneyB
    I wouldn't be so sure - plenty of parents have been suprised by 2nd born girls, expecially if first born is a boy. Fewer 'party tricks' and 'unusual social quirks' doesn't mean less gifted. I don't know why this is, but around here we sing 'test one, test 'em all.'

((wink))
    Grinity

I really hope DD4 gets tested and proves to be gifted as well. She's definitely special (and I mean that with much love). She's definitely no where near (or was) DS6 at certain stages in life (he was the one trying to "stand" as a newborn, whereas, she was floppy as anything. He read before age 3, she can read only a few sight words). But, she is surprising us now, at 4, not with reading and math, but with how much she just "gets" that a lot of 4 year olds don't at all.

((wink))
    Grinity

I really hope DD4 gets tested and proves to be gifted as well. She's definitely special (and I mean that with much love). She's definitely no where near (or was) DS6 at certain stages in life (he was the one trying to "stand" as a newborn, whereas, she was floppy as anything. He read before age 3, she can read only a few sight words). But, she is surprising us now, at 4, not with reading and math, but with how much she just "gets" that a lot of 4 year olds don't at all. [/quote]

DS13 didn't read until age 6, and was definitely a 'getter' - and he's in DYS so I wouldn't make too much of the missing milestones. At this moment, my feeling about milestones is that they are real clues if they are early, but I'd never downgrade my estimation of someone's giftedness if they are later than expected. Being a floppy baby isn't related to giftedness one way or the other, but it certianly will change the presentation of the giftedness. I think that my son didn't learn to read any earlier (in spite of knowing his letters and letter sounds super early) was that his visual system was 'only' age appropriate. Now he tells me that if I had verbally taught him to read that he would have learned much earlier. I think that this is the ODP talking, I mean really! But it is true that at age 3 when he asked to be taught to read, the first thing I would do is pull out the magnetic letters and move them around. I love tactile games!

Smiles,
    Grinity

J
    J
    LOL Grinity. And I was "joking" about the floppy baby (though she was - ha). I imagine the 2nd child isn't as noticeable either because DC#1 talks and does everything for DC#2 (generally). smile

Originally Posted by JJsMom
    LOL Grinity. And I was "joking" about the floppy baby (though she was - ha). I imagine the 2nd child isn't as noticeable either because DC#1 talks and does everything for DC#2 (generally). smile
    Great Point!

Floppiness is near and dear to my heart. I'm guessing 'Blob' likes it too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Orange County (California) HG school options?
    by Otters - 06/09/24 01:17 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:02 PM
    Mom in hell, please help
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:00 PM
    Justice sensitivity in school / DEI
    by indigo - 06/06/24 05:58 AM
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM