Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 141 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by JaneSmith
    if it's not easy to take a test quickly the difference in accumulated points between my son and most of the other kids will be reduced.

My DD was allowed to do AR in first grade (school starts in 2nd), and she found it very difficult to get test opportunities in.

Our school gives does AR as pass / fail, so missing a question doesn't interfere with points.

Originally Posted by JaneSmith
    He's read a gazillion book and then he gets told to take a test. He's read so many books and the volunteer staff isn't that familiar with software and maybe my son can't spell the authors' names...so they end up deciding - OK, take one of the Harry Potter tests.

My DD had the book she wanted to test on with her, for "looking up test" purposes. Not getting the right test has never been an issue.

Her first grade teacher did warn us that in the grades where all the kids do AR, the teachers tend to limit the kids to at-grade-level or one-grade-up books. I'd asked if DD could test from any AR book she got from the school library, rather than having to use her one library book on a 1st or 2nd grade book.

With respect to "do other kids notice," first graders had reading logs - after you read a book, your parent recorded it in the log. I only gave DD "credit" for at-level books she'd read for the first time, and stopped writing books down once she'd filled her log for the month. She was disappointed that she didn't have the highest total at year-end (and if I'd known they were going to do totals, I'd have recorded more liberally), but it was a passing thing. And good for her to not automatically be on top.

M
    M
    Hi Jane,

Dottie is probably more accurate on how exactly the point system is figured out. My DD will start AR next year in 2nd grade and my DS has always received 100's on the tests he has taken except for the one with the wrong author he received 60% (6/10) and did not get credit for it.
    I asked if he could retake the test the next day...but they said it was against policy. I didn't tell on the Volunteer mom (cell phones are not to be used during their time).

We just completed our 2nd year at this school so the AR was new for us. DS was all over it the first quarter and exactly what Dottie said about "competition" occurred.

DS did not want to upset anyone so he limits the amount of tests he takes. He read about 9 more books than he tested for. He wants kids to like him. He was treated pretty bad by the girl that was always the "top" reader that first quarter so he backed off and now they are friends, in fact she is his cotillion partner...LOL

My DS has always struggled socially...Yet he is the most social kid you will ever meet! Unfortuantly kids his age just don't want to discuss the Northwest merger with Delta or what metal composites the lunch benches are constructed with...
    I came up with my user name My Heart Breaks...because it does a lot for him...such a great kid with a big heart. He just want to share all the interesting stuff he learns...:-/

He reads because he loves it and it's not a contest to him. He is reading The Bendict series but he is also reading a book on Elements...He gets up and gets a book before he even comes down stairs. I have tried to encourage him to test more...I even threatened to tell his teacher :-( He just tells me he didn't have time or he forgot...I let it go

The way they do the AR at our school is you can only count the books you read that quarter. I am sure it is different at other schools you should check with your school on its policy.

Good Luck !!! I am sure your son will shine !

D
    D
    Originally Posted by Dottie
    ... my son and the only other GT kid in his 5th grade class would "hoard" points all quarter, and then test on day 1 of the next quarter, racing to see who could meet their goal first.

This is a hoot. I may accidentally suggest this to our son.

Since 2nd grade, I've had to ask his teachers to stop ramping up his point goal because it's just getting him focused on the quantity. Whenever he approached his goal, the teacher moved it up... it was getting insane. The kid already reads all the danged time... and doesn't need any further encouragement.

His 1st quarter totals are always positively looney because he tests on whatever he read over the summer.

I really like the hoarding strategy, though...

Being offended is a natural consequence of leaving the house. - Fran Lebowitz
    U
    U
    So the other day I timed my DD (6) as she read aloud from a book that's about a fourth grade level, and she read about 125 words per minute. What does that actually mean?

Last edited by ultramarina; 03/10/14 01:13 PM.
    A
    A
    Yes, I think that's an average 4th grade oral reading speed, per

IMHO, silent reading speed is probably more meaningful, because you don't have the "how fast can my mouth move" ceiling. It's harder to measure (and find norms for), though.

U
    U
    Yes, I have actually wondered if I should encourage her to read more *slowly*. She sometimes skips or slightly alters short words (not so as to affect meaning) when she reads aloud to me (which I occasionally ask her to do, mainly so I can help her with pronunciation of words she doesn't know very well).

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM