Hi Susandj,
Thanks for your input. I actually got a neighborhood friend who tested him with the evaluation that her district uses to screen gifted candidates. She runs the G&T program in a neighboring district. She said from it she can see he is very "pensive" and a perfectionist. Also, she was able to assess what type of learner he is. When she heard he missed the school's required test (COGAT) by 4 points she insisted she wants to write a letter to my school district's G&T head to tell them of her assessment and make recommendation to allow him to work under a trial period because he needs it and can definitely perform. I'm just worried if that would be a turn off to them or if I should go for it.

The evaluation involved 10 G&T questions which usually takes 15 mins but he completed it in 2 mins. He's in 2nd grade now but he kept answering the questions correctly so she moved him up to 3rd grade level G&T questions. She said he doesn't write anything down and just looks off and figures out calculations, etc. She was surprised.

Now I feel much better that someone else has documented how he performs and I hope my school will be open to her recommendations. Has anyone else had a similar situation?

Thanks so much!