Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 210 guests, and 8 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Instoyque, Gourab, Jwack, journeyfarther, Clare
    11,505 Registered Users
    September
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    8 9 10 11 12 13 14
    15 16 17 18 19 20 21
    22 23 24 25 26 27 28
    29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    BooBoo - It's a serious concern - on the other hand, if there are issues that still exist, then many interventions crafted for kids with various disabilities can sometimes work well to help modulate the difficulty of living with OEs.

If you have a bad feeling about this Psych, can you shop around until you find one that you can feel comfortable with?

I see this as two issues - 1) What if behavior is coming from a poor educational fit, and because the Professional isn't aware that this can happen, the actual need for a good educational fit never gets addressed.

2) How will you be able to trust the recommendations of the Psychologist? Even if the Psychologist is as correct as can be, if there is no rapport, will you believe her or him?

8 can be a really tough age.
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    B
    B
    Thank you Grinity. Friday I have another appointment. If this psych won't consider OEs could be the elements of strange behaviors during evaluation, I will try to find another one.

N
    OP Offline
    N
    BooBoo,
    I do hope things go well for you..when we took dd 9 in for eval (developmental Pediatrician) I made sure to tell her that my dd's behavior is very different at home than it is at school. She took that into account when making her evaluation. Obviously there are some "triggers" at school for dd that can cause some less than desirable behavior.
    You know your own child best, just don't be railroaded by someone else's opinion and ask tons of questions...I did.
    Good luck and please keep us posted!

S
    S
    Add my name to the list of those who have found that OEs don't seem to be well-known or incorporated into assessments of gifted kids. I am in a similar place of assessment with my daughter, 10. It's a tough place to be in. No guidance or insight, but I wish you the best.

- Sky

V
    V
    He hasn't learned about Positive Disinegration? Wow...I'm not even a psychologist yet and I've practically memorized the traits of most over-excitabilities!

D
    D
    To what extent has the theory of OEs been tested and described in the peer-reviewed literature?

DeeDee

C
    C
    Originally Posted by DeeDee
    To what extent has the theory of OEs been tested and described in the peer-reviewed literature?
    I'm not expert at searching in this particular domain, but I couldn't find anything. Thinking about what one would have to do to put this on a proper scientific basis, I think the problem would be that the idea is so fluid. I mean, the basic idea is that some people are more sensitive to certain things than others (that could hardly be false) and that there is a correlation between high sensitivity and giftedness (this is the contentful part that one might hope to test). What would you do? You'd need to start with a population some of which had been identified gifted by a test that was independent of OEs, and some of which had not. You'd want not to know which people were which. You'd then test everyone for the presence of one or more OEs. Doesn't sound impossible so far, but you'd need to do it in a reasonably objective and repeatable way, and in order for this to count as confirming the existence of Dabrowksi's OEs, you'd need to show a positive correlation for a large number of different sensitivities. You'd also need somehow to rule out other explanations, such as that gifted people tend to exaggerate their reports of all their feelings while not actually being affected disproportionately by them, perhaps as a side-effect of tending to be highly articulate.

It would be very interesting if something like this has been done, but if it has, I haven't found it. Of course, the idea can still be a useful one even if it lacks an objective scientific basis. My suspicion is that this is more of a useful conceptual idea for dealing with individuals than something that can be turned into a scientific theory.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Weird results for 2nd Grade Gifted Test
    by aeh - 09/16/24 02:00 PM
    Please help me understand child results
    by aeh - 09/15/24 07:28 PM
    How critical is school selection?
    by aeh - 09/15/24 06:50 PM
    A Progressive Assault on Selective High Schools