Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (Eagle Mum), 290 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    V
    V
    The lightbulb just went on for me as well. My DS6 used to devour picture books as a toddler, but now that he is reading independently, I've found it challenging. I'm always trying to encourage him to pick up longer story type books at the library, but he tosses them aside and goes for the non fiction books with lots of pictures and large text. Even though he can easily read Magic Tree House, he usually stops mid page and asks me to read it to him. I never thought of the mental image and connection. Thanks for opening my eyes!

V
    V
    A manga could possibly help. Mangas are Japanese graphic novels, and since some of them may have deep plots, it would be easy to read. However, you should be warned: sometimes manga may contain questionable content. Screen them just in case♪

G
    G
    I think it is pretty normal for children to find big blocks of text with no pictures daunting/boring. My DS has only just, at 6, found the motivation to read his first novel without pictures (Harry Potter), but that is because he has been playing the LEGO video game and is already enthusiastic about Harry Potter in general.
    The books which tipped him over from wanting to read picture books to graphic novels were the Tashi books by Anna Fienberg. He's also just been loaned some Geronimo Stilton books which he's been devouring.

I wonder if there is really anything wrong with a seven year old wanting a visual reference to what she is reading? Books with pictures are fun :), and I'm sure she'll come to reading books without them in time.

For us it was the magic school bus books - good content for DS4 with lots of graphics. As he advanced brought in the magic tree house books and he had a violent reaction to it, he said his books were bigger!!! But for him it was the topic, he just didn't like MSH, he loves the a to z mysteries which has some pictures But if you are looking for advanced science with pictures, try the brainwaves from DK, DS LOVES them, he really likes anything with intricate pictures especially exploded views of machines. Great one of those, transformed, how things are made. But I went overboard getting so much science that he started going to his old picture books, I took the hint and got him some storybooks that are simple comparatively but he still enjoys the stories. So we have a very wide range currently in our library basket!!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM