Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 192 guests, and 38 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    Thanks everyone. It has been a tough year all around, (move to a new state, bullying in 2 different schools, teachers who didn't "get" DD, an awful job for me, which I've ended up quitting and now a new job hunt and a new school for DD next year) and we were hoping for the "yes".
    But, Grinity, I think I'll be agreeing with you - if Dottie says she was that close..... We probably will re-apply after a couple of years when she has some other test results.

Right now we're starting to "de-school" and get into the summer groove, as well as rearrange the living room to make space for lego league type robot building! (A friend lent us her clubs' past kits and with DD2 wanting to help, we have to get a "clear and secure" space organized so all of the pieces get back to my friend at the end of the summer.)

Thanks again for the support. I'm feeling better about it all smile

O
    O
    My DS9 was very close getting in DYS with IQ and AT but when he took the EXPLORE he really excelled past the minimum. I hope you will find this encouraging for another way to help qualify. The cost is also less expensive. (Look into EXPLORE test dates because they are only twice a year.)

C
    C
    Originally Posted by Kerry
    Not to rain on anyone's parade, because I'm really happy for all of you who were accepted, but DD7 was not accepted as a DYS. frown

We were really hoping she would be, but in reality I guess DH was right - "she's not quite that smart"
    Oh well, at least we've still got this forum to continue to get great support and ideas from.
    It sounds like you are feeling better already and I'm sure that I missed your other posts wherein the scores that made Dottie think that she was super close are, but I too wanted to offer a hug.

My oldest really probably isn't a DYS level kid, but she is a lot brighter than dh thinks. I do think that it is possible for parents, especially dads who may not interact closely with other young kids the ways moms who are running the play dates do, to underestimate their kids. In terms of IQ, my dd11's one test is somewhat lower than my IQ scores from when I was a teen. I am rather certain that she is more intelligent than I am (or at least has a very directed personality that makes her appear unusually bright).

Dh doesn't really see that so much, though, although I'm sure that he'd admit that she is brighter than avg. Some of his self esteem issues seem to come into play as well in that I hear stuff like, "well they have some of me in them too, so they're really going to have problems academically..."

Hopefully those inexpensive EXPLORE scores in a year or two will give you better direction on whether to re-apply.

P
    P
    Hi everyone,
    I'm new here. I've been searching for information about gifted education for my son for years. Is DYS very helpful to highly gifted kids? My son took a WISC IV test last year (He was 11.5) and his FSIQ is 143 and GAI is 153. He's been in GATE magnet school but he still has problems with his school. Anyone's kids accepted to DYS and any suggestions?

M
    Mam Offline
    M
    Hi there. The GAI is a qualifying score for DYS, so you would need to get some achievement testing. Has he had any?

I think the YSP is a great resource. It is amazing for some, and less valuable for others (a lot of it depends on what you want to get out of it and whether you use the resources or not).

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM