Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 398 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 74 of 76 1 2 72 73 74 75 76
    J
    JJsMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Just thought I'd see how all the Kindergarteners/1st graders were doing now that the school year is coming closer to an end...

We have a month left of school. DS6 has done extremely well with his move to 1st, other than problems with his behavior (worse now towards the end of the year). He's so bored still. He will be moving to a different school next year, and hopefully, I can discuss possible subject acceleration with the teachers/principal there. I cannot believe it's been almost a year already. He has made so many positive strides. I am so thankful that we were able to accelerate him with such ease. I think second grade will prove more challenging for him, since there will be more "new" concepts added. smile

M
    M
    I agree it's hard to believe kindergarten is almost over already! For us, it really couldn't have gone any better. DS started at age 4.5 in a really small class and was subject accelerated in all core subjects, doing 3rd and 4th grade language arts work and 2nd and 3rd grade math. He had a great teacher who patiently worked through his perfectionist meltdowns to get him to the point where he's now writing/spelling constantly, without tears. He's also made huge leaps in math and seems to have more mental energy than ever. I feel like a great parent for having had the courage to start him early in a nontraditional school, but I doubt I would have had the foresight to do it had it not been for this forum!

Fortunately, our school is K-12, so the future is looking good. Next year, DS will be in a multi-age progressive primary classroom that combines grades 1 and 2. He'll have individualized instruction again, be in a class with kids his age and 1-2 years older, and have the same teacher for two years, which all sounds good. In short, we seem to have hit the jackpot!

It's so nice to hear the great updates! For us, this year has been great too (except for a slow start the first half of the year). DS6 has been getting accelerated math and some differentiation within the classroom for reading. We will be meeting with the school soon to discuss grade acceleration to 2nd (I think everyone agrees about this, so I don't foresee problems with this. Of course, I'll be sure to post here for support if there are problems!) I'm a little nervous about him losing his friends and moving to a different school for 2nd, but academically it is so right. Well, as long as there is continued acceleration as well! We have been so happy with the school. Everyone seems to get our DS6 now.

M
    M
    Tx for posting everyone and suggesting this JJsmom! It's great to hear that everyone's doing so well.

DS is hanging in there even though this has been a throwaway year within school. We do so much outside to keep him learning that we've all survived. He is beginning to talk about how his reading is different from the other kids except for one girl, so we're keeping an eye on it. Unfortunately, the one girl won't be back at our school next year.

DH and I met with the principal today to discuss what needs to be done to challenge him next year. We got a lot of non-answers but at least feel like we've put her on notice that we expect the school to do better next year. I told her his homework this year has been laughable and I threw it out and gave him my own work (she seemed surprised and a bit annoyed at that). And I showed her writing work he's doing at home that is beyond what he's doing at school to force the issue that they aren't challenging him enough.

We put out there that we thought that she may need to consider moving him up a grade for at least the reading part of his day next year. For the first time, she didn't totally balk at us and said that this may be a reasonable solution but we need to see what he's doing at the end of the summer. We also talked a bit about our feelings about grade skipping, particularly b/c my husband skipped first grade.

We are supposed to hear whether he gets into the magnet school on May 17. It's such a longshot, but I'm really hoping he gets in. It would be a much better place for him.

J
    JJsMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    good luck! I have my fingers crossed for you!

M
    M
    He's in, he's in!!!! Doing a happy dance and soooo surprised that DS got one of the coveted 25 spots!

I
    I
    Congrats - mom2twoboys!

I hope this magnet school ends up being a great fit for your ds.

Please keep us posted!

Yay! So happy for your DS and you! I hope it is a wonderful fit.

Originally Posted by mom2twoboys
    He's in, he's in!!!! Doing a happy dance and soooo surprised that DS got one of the coveted 25 spots!
    Yippee! Doing the happy dance right along with you!!!

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    J
    JJsMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Yay!

Page 74 of 76 1 2 72 73 74 75 76

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM