Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 273 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    O
    O
    I nursed my both kids till 1 1/2yrs. I weened down to just nursing at night and then weened one minute less a little at time. Both kids did well with finishing this way. I cryed both times and my DH was very understanding.

Um... and 'cause some of the kids are a little bloody-minded too wink

(And how many of those who breastfed longer than a year did it 'cause they looked into it and decided it sounded like it was good for the baby? Most of my aquantances haven't done the looking into it part, but most of my friends (a fairly smart group, on the whole) have, with the result that most of my friends keep going, but most of my aquantances are shocked I haven't weaned yet)

(and yeah, 12 mos tomorrow and no intentions apparent on either side to stop. Not sure how people survive weaning kids this age. I think I'd loose several parts of my anatomy in any attempt.... erm... good luck! Sory for the lack of advice frown )

DS1: Hon, you already finished your homework
    DS2: Quit it with the protesting already!
    M
    M
    I also breastfed both my children.

DD weaned herself at about 18 months. I was 3 months pregnant at the time and I often wonder if this had something to do with it.

With DS I was ready to wean him when he was about 21 months. He was down to 3 feeds by then so I withdrew 1 feed a month starting with the daytime feed. This was the easiest to start with due to the fact that he didn't always have it anyway. Then the night feed, and finally the early morning feed, this was his favourite one. It worked well for me doing it this way and I found as I withdrew one it seemed to make the following withdrawals petty much non eventful. Oh and when I started I discussed it with him and told him what I was doing and why.

As others have stated substitute with lots of cuddles, create a different ritual (particularly when associated with bedtime or the like) and introduce a *special* cup that DC might like to help you choose.

Hope this helps and good luck!

(And how many of those who breastfed longer than a year did it 'cause they looked into it and decided it sounded like it was good for the baby? Most of my aquantances haven't done the looking into it part, but most of my friends (a fairly smart group, on the whole) have, with the result that most of my friends keep going, but most of my aquantances are shocked I haven't weaned yet)

I'll be really honest here, yes I was aware of the benefits of breastfeeding from the word go but I also liked the closeness and convenience of it.

MegMeg Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Great to hear all your stories! I guess I'm realizing, listening to all your concrete solutions, that I'm really ambivalent about it and just not willing to go there yet. The medication is definitely needed, though not urgent. I've already been putting it off for a year. But it would be nice to stop feeling crappy. I'm just hoping the kiddo enters some new developmental stage where all of this will seem more feasible!

-Meg

B
    B
    Perhaps you've already looked into alternatives with no success, but there's a book called Medications and Mother's Milk that shows to alternatives to most drugs that are safe for lactation. Sometimes even physicians aren't aware that they are available. Your local La Leche League should have a copy. Or just call LLL International.
    Also, if there's no alternative and you feel it's in both your and your little one's best interest to wean then LLL can help with gradual, gentle weaning techniques.

Meghan

C
    C
    This is Hale that I referred to above so my guess is MegMeg has BTDT (or she would have said "what's that?"!) but just in case it helps anyone, here's the website link:
    http://neonatal.ttuhsc.edu/lact/
    Only HCP can post on the forum, but there are threads discussing most common drugs, which may also be useful.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    MegMeg Offline OP
    OP Offline
    'Kay everybody, I'm going to respectfully for no medical advice. You're just going to have to trust me on this. Thanx. smile

-Meg

I'm tempted to say, "weaning sucks", but that would be out of character for me, so pretend you didn't read this. I'll confess, I eventually resorted to bribery. My kids weaned late and there was a "booby prize" given after a week without nursing. I'm just lucky that it was stuff like the Hamtaro clubhouse instead of the Harry Potter boxed set, which would have been too strange to contemplate, but perfectly possible.

A
    A
    I, too, finally had to leave town for a few days. Interestingly, my very independent in most things DD, wouldn't sleep alone until 10 1/2. I think it is often a necessary counterbalance to intense thinking.

I
    I
    aline, I thought the co-sleeping thing was just us. Lol. Our D was about 7 when she gave it up no her own. People look at me like I am crazy, so I don't tell many people, but it is just what she needed. It was so hard for us to meet her other needs, this one seemed like an easy/no brainer one. She always went to sleep in her own bed, but at about 1:00 am...

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM