Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 368 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    K
    OP Offline
    K
    Originally Posted by JaneSmith
    If the charter school offers an effective, individually focused education then why is it testing low? How low?

Tests scores reported in greatschools are usually relative to just-adequate state standards. If the school's approach can't even get the kids to that level, then I would wonder what was good about it.

Now, if the charter school happens to draw kids with learning challenges, or who have been underserved in the past, then maybe it is an excellent school despite lower scores. But I wouldn't automatically conclude that a school that does a great job bringing low performing student closer to grade level is necessarily a good fit for a child who is already excelling.

I've been asking myself the same question, if it's so perfect then why are the test scores low? What I do know is the school has doubled in size and took on a bunch of kids from a failed charter school last year however before that they still struggled but not as much. I am basing a lot on a meeting with a teacher in their first/second grade program, she currently teaches my son in one subject. It seems very individualized. I wish that I could see the test scores of kids at the school for two years or more, I think that would tell a lot. They do have kids who struggle, probably more than the other school, and having him be the most advanced reader this year was a problem. I do think he would not be so alone at the other school but I worry about their willingness to individualize. I like the math and science set up at his current school better plus he gets more specials and a longer recess, which he needs. The parent ratings are higher on the charter.

I wish this were easier.

Last edited by Kareninminn; 04/16/10 09:26 AM.
    The great schools rating gives you a good idea of parent satisfaction. So if the school is mismanaged, has bad teachers, bullying, etc I don't want my kids to go there no matter how good their gifted program might be. I personally prefer that they attend schools where there are lots of gifted kids attending. So that they don't have to be accelerated, their teachers are used to gifted kids and impose high standards and they can be with intellectual peers.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM