Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (Eagle Mum), 91 guests, and 59 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    S
    S
    Originally Posted by Floridama
    My DH, "got it" the day we had a 5 & 6 yo old over for a play date with our DD, who was barely 5 at the time.

We assumed Battleship would be a fun easy game for Kindergarteners because our DD easily learned it at 4.
    But after 30min of trying to teach DDs friends the concept, my husband gave up.
    Later on he admitted that "maybe she is a little different after all."

LOL, when in doubt have a playdate with kids the same age or even a few years older. Works every time in noticing differences. It's interesting for us when DS5 helps one of his friends that is 5 years older with his math. And when he was 3 and would take out scrabble or battleship during a playdate...that's kind of obvious : ) Glad your DH noticed the differences.

I have to say that I was really happy when our DS5's principal said that DS has special needs based on his "exceptionalities" and that IEP's are typically designed to meet the other end of the spectrum, but that they should be able to help on both ends of extremes. I was in complete shock that she gets it. I realize that they are completely different needs, but nevertheless there are clear needs for differentiation on both ends...especially the further away you get from the middle.

H
    H
    Floridama, thank you for sharing your hilarious Battleship story.

Let me add to this discussion I had similar problems with my dh but at the "other end of the curve" -- he did not seem to see our oldest was not developing normally (ds turned out to have autism). Some parents, mothers as well as fathers, have trouble seeing or accepting differences, and it does take time.

Still laughing about your Battleship experience, thanks again for sharing it. What a great way for your dh to figure out what is typical for that age (and I wish I could have been a fly on the wall and seen all of it).

S
    S
    Just a bit off topic question. As I was reading through the replies I noticed a disscussion regarding a school with average IQ around 115 not being very receptive to a child of IQ 130 with special requests/needs.

We have one child around mid 130's IQ. The elem school locally has average IQ 115 (they claim) and top state test scores. However, my son was still incredibly bored at the pace and depth of the classwork.

He is now in FT gifted school and excelling (all work accelerated at least a year.)
    I'm wondering if this is uncommon for a 130 child to be so bored in the regular classroom. Do you all feel most 130 kids usually get by ok in a regular classroom, especially in a highly educated community?

I guess I always wondered if I made too much fuss about getting him out of there when I know there are probably other kids with his IQ still sitting in the regular classroom?

Thanks!

Originally Posted by spiritedmama
    Just a bit off topic question. As I was reading through the replies I noticed a disscussion regarding a school with average IQ around 115 not being very receptive to a child of IQ 130 with special requests/needs.

We have one child around mid 130's IQ. The elem school locally has average IQ 115 (they claim) and top state test scores. However, my son was still incredibly bored at the pace and depth of the classwork.

He is now in FT gifted school and excelling (all work accelerated at least a year.)
    I'm wondering if this is uncommon for a 130 child to be so bored in the regular classroom. Do you all feel most 130 kids usually get by ok in a regular classroom, especially in a highly educated community?

I guess I always wondered if I made too much fuss about getting him out of there when I know there are probably other kids with his IQ still sitting in the regular classroom?

Thanks!

Theoretically i would expect a child only 1 sd from the mean to be 'pretty ok' but Ive never met a theoritcal kid.

possibilitys _ school misunderstands their mean and it isnt that high really. 2 child s IQ is a mathmatical average of Hg and average scores or childs test was an underestimate. in the long run the key is that u foung a situation that works for your real child.
    enjoy!
    grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    A
    A
    Inky just to be wonky wordsmith: the "learning around the edges" is Vygotsky's Zone of Proximal Development

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM