Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 358 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    So sorry, Mia! Now I'm wondering if we should even bother with the WISC and the DYS application...If B didn't get in, I'm dubious that DS6 will make the cut either.

Thin letter or no, B IS ridiculously gifted. He just is. That's one doubt/question/worry you don't need to have. He's just crazy gifted.

Originally Posted by Grinity
    Bottom line: I sure wish that we didn't have to think about this so much, that schools would take responsibility for figuring out how our kids, and would then follow through. For the Grandchildren!

Amen, Grinity! Sing it, Sister!

*For the Grandchildren!*

(I really think we need t-shirts and tote bags that say that. It could be a way to recgnize one another on the street IRL. LOL!)

Kriston
    I'm sorry he didn't get it, but it was worth trying with 148. It's so close, almost there. He is obviously very, very smart and two 99.8 scores are very impressive.

LMom
    acs Offline
    In thinking about scores and testing and what they mean and don't mean etc I found this article to be really helpful. http://www.davidsongifted.org/db/Articles_id_10405.aspx

I wish I'd read it before we had testing done (but it wasn't written until a year after the last IQ test was taken!)

Hey acs, I just read that link, good one.

Kriston, when you find a place to have those shirts/bags printed let me know.

I want to order one!

Mia Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    Now I'm wondering if we should even bother with the WISC and the DYS application...If B didn't get in, I'm dubious that DS6 will make the cut either.

Ah, don't say that, Kriston; I don't know that it's true at all! Your ds sounds at least on par with mine, and ds hit ceilings on his WPPSI, so it may have been an underestimate. Or it may not have been. I don't really know. Still, you're looking for more information just as much as you're looking for Davidson guidance ... if you think it'll help you understand your ds, you should do it.

In fact, I'm more considering having one more test done, probably the WISC or the SB5, now that I know I'll be advocating without Davidson help. As I've said before, I think a higher ceiling may help me have a better feel of where he is, so that I'll know what's appropriate to be asking for. Still undecided, but considering it more again.

Mia
    acs Offline
    Originally Posted by Dottie
    I think what applicants need to ask for themselves, is whether or not ceiling issues are at play (is the score falsely low), or are they really in that also incredibly high "but not quite off the charts" 99.5-99.8 range. Fortunately time will help answer those questions.

Very true about the ceilings. There are other things that many of us wonder about the scores in the 99.5-99.8 range. Was the tester prepared to deal with a kid that gifted? Did the kid get full credit for unusual (but correct) answers? Was my kid in his best form that day? Was he sick? Tired? Cooperative? Would he have done better on a different test (one that emphasized verbal? math?) Did he get bored and shut down toward the end?

I keep thinking of world class Olympic speed skaters falling a fraction of the second before breaking a world record. Does that mean that couldn't have broken the record or just didn't happen to break it that day? These are little kids we're testing and there are just a lot of variables, reasons they may not be at their best that day. And most of us can't afford to keep testing until we get the best testing situation for our kid. Just like the Olympics, the tests only come around once or twice in their lifetimes.

So yes, there are kids who do really fall in the 99.5-99.8 range(and they are dang smart), but for some kids who get that score, it is still not accurate. I just wish there was a way to know the difference. I'd be happy either way; it would just be nice to know. Sometimes I feel a little nuts crazy wondering....

Originally Posted by acs
    There are other things that many of us wonder about the scores in the 99.5-99.8 range. Was the tester prepared to deal with a kid that gifted? Did the kid get full credit for unusual (but correct) answers? Was my kid in his best form that day? Was he sick? Tired? Cooperative? Would he have done better on a different test (one that emphasized verbal? math?) Did he get bored and shut down toward the end?

I keep thinking of world class Olympic speed skaters falling a fraction of the second before breaking a world record. Does that mean that couldn't have broken the record or just didn't happen to break it that day? These are little kids we're testing and there are just a lot of variables, reasons they may not be at their best that day. And most of us can't afford to keep testing until we get the best testing situation for our kid. Just like the Olympics, the tests only come around once or twice in their lifetimes.

So yes, there are kids who do really fall in the 99.5-99.8 range(and they are dang smart), but for some kids who get that score, it is still not accurate. I just wish there was a way to know the difference. I'd be happy either way; it would just be nice to know. Sometimes I feel a little nuts crazy wondering....

I agree 100% with absolutely everything you wrote here, acs. And even though your post is just above mine, I wanted to quote it so it's here twice, with emphasis on the heart of the matter, in my estimation. Consider it my, "Yeah! What SHE said!"

I'm dreaming of a test created JUST for HG+ kids that is actually designed to test the tail of the curve with some semblence of accuracy, one that the tester adapts to follow the child's preferred way of thinking rather than requiring that the child fit the test, and one that starts high enough to keep the child from getting bored and tired on the "easy" questions.

Yeah, I know. It'll never happen. But the irony of approving and rejecting HG+ kids based primarily on tests that cannot accurately measure said kids' abilities makes me a little nuts. Does this not seem hugely problematic to anyone else?

I think of the "Far Side" mug/t-shirt with the GT kid pushing the door that says "pull"...

Kriston
    I don't think that DS will get into DYS, but applying had a good side-effect. I asked the vice-principal for a recommendation for him. She decided to get to know him better and did some one-on-one money activities with him. She was VERY impressed with DS. I can't help but think that now that someone has noticed him it will be a good thing smile His K teacher knows he's smart but she has no idea what he can do because nothing is ever asked of him in class!

Cathy

S
    S
    Happily, my son was one of the children just accepted into the DYS program this month. I was not sure what to think - would he get in or no? Each one of us here have gifted children that are deserving. So many Moms have written of their children's acomplishments, their levels of giftedness were so astounding that I was truly disappointed when I read a few of the kids had not been accepted. (I had not heard of our status yet), but I knew - even as I sent my application in and waited (and maybe you did too)- that we would continue to try if not successful the first time around. Fall six times, stand seven. You know, that Old Chinese proverb. Nothing pays off more than perseverence. And I expected and was preparing myself to maybe go that route as well. So, although I feel blessed at the moment, I just encourage everyone out there who did not receive this wonderful news this time to begin anew and keep your attitude positive. It will pay off, one way or another.

Dottie #7449 01/17/08 08:48 PM
    S
    S
    Thanks Dottie! I was so thrilled to see that letter because I know the services offered are just what we need to help guide us through this life-long journey. My son has just turned nine. He is younger in some ways, and older in others - like many I'm sure. I am truly looking forward to becoming a participating member of not only this community - but of the Davidson YSP family as well. So thanks again and I'll be writing more I'm sure!
    Sheryl

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs